Chapter Eighteen

I felt his long arms wrap around me, refusing to let go. I missed his warmth, the love I felt when I was with him. It was nothing like the love I have for Harry, it was a brotherly love, an unbreakable bond between us. He pulled away to look me in the eyes, tears sliding down his cheeks and clouding his shimmering blue eyes. It killed me to see the pain in his eyes, maybe Tyler was right, maybe he has been feeling abandoned. I have to tell Niall, it’s not worth losing a friendship over, maybe he’ll understand. Either way I doubt he’s letting go of me until I tell him.

I felt Tyler squeeze my shoulder and looked up at her, fresh tears in my eyes. “I’ll give you guys some time to talk.” I felt her rub my back once more before opening the door to find Zayn peering into the room in nothing but a towel giving me a look asking if I was okay. I nodded to him as he and Tyler walked off together leaving Niall and I alone.

Niall pulled away from me holding on to my shoulders, glaring into my eyes, “Danielle and I broke up” I said softly avoiding his eyes.

“Come on Payne, I know she’s your best friend, you guys had been drifting apart but you aren’t the kind to give up so easily, I know there’s more to the story so spill. I have known you my whole life, you can tell me anything...” he smiled down at me encouraging me to open up to him. I heard him mumble under his breath, “we’ve never had secrets,” the pain in his voice made my heart shatter.

“There’s someone else Ni, we broke up because there is someone else” I could see the anger boiling inside him. His face grew more angry by the minute, I could practically see the steam rolling out of his ears.

“That bitch, I swear if she ever comes near you again I’m gonna----” I slapped my hand to his mouth knowing it was the only way to shut him up. “No! Liam this is not okay, that bitch cheated on my brother and broke his heart, she is not getting away with this!”

“Would you just shut up Niall! It wasn’t her okay, it was me!”

“You mean...she didn’t cheat on you?” His face was turning red with embarrassment, I knew he had never meant anything he said about her but knowing Niall the guilt was tearing him apart inside. “Wait, if she didn’t...then that means....you...but...HOW COULD YOU LIAM? THAT IS NOT THE LIAM I KNOW” Niall was furious with me, his arms flailing about in the air.

I gripped his shoulder tight, refusing to let him move. “I didn’t cheat on her Niall! I could never do that to her. I just...I don’t love her like that anymore. I have feelings for someone else and I don’t know what to do about it. I have feelings for someone I shouldn’t and I don’t know what to do.” I rested my head on his shoulder as I groaned in frustration.

“Oh thank God! You have been killing me these past few weeks. I thought it was something serious” he sighed a breath of relief.

“Niall!” I yelled at him

He was laughing uncontrollably and I couldn’t help but crack a small smile myself. “Come on now Niall, this is serious. I don’t know what to do.”

“I’m sorry Li, I’ve just been going crazy. So what if you’re gay, there’s nothing wrong with that. I might have to work on my wingman techniques a little but I’ll figure it out. But to be serious, Liam why did you feel like you couldn’t tell me? I have told you all of my deepest secrets, you know more about me than anyone else, including all the really personal things, I can’t believe you thought I wouldn’t support you.” He pulled me close to his chest, wrapping his arms and legs around me like he used to when we were little. “I will always be here for you Liam, no matter what. You can tell me anything. I want you to come to me with the good and the bad.”

“Ni...I never said I was...gay” I stuttered out.

“Oh, well this is awkward...I just figured since you said someone you shouldn’t be and you and Danielle had a mutual break-up...sorry mate” he said rubbing the back of his neck uncomfortably