Dreams

Five years have passed since then but I still carry the memories of those burning blue flames. I have nightmares sometimes, of myself, I'm drowning, being consumed by those flames dragged under the shining sea of fire until I'm trapped and unable to escape. I woke up gasping for breath, sweat dripping from my face as I squeezed the bed sheets in my fists so hard I could no longer feel my hands. 'I had that dream again' I thought to my self. I reluctantly pulled myself out of the bed and made my way to the large window just above a small wooden chair. I drew back the curtains, the Suns beams making a warm, golden glow fill my room. I sleepily got changed into my uniform and put my dark hair into a quick messy ponytail. I stepped down the creaky stairs and made my way to the door at the back of the kitchen.
"Have a good day dear!" I heard my step mother call from the living room, mr woods was either still asleep or at work. Just as I was about to leave I heard small footsteps running towards me and I felt tiny hands wrap around my waist.
"you forgot to say goodbye!?" Rose yelled, the look on her face like she'd just seen me kill a man. "How could I forget my little monkey" I teased, lifting her up in my arms as she pouted in a huff with me. I gave her a quick kiss on the cheek and put her down gently before swinging my backpack over my shoulder. I fumbled with the handle and opened the door, taking in a deep breath of cold air before stepping out and making my way to school.