Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Olivia squealed and I looked up from the book I was engrossed in. Liv was across the room from me, biting her lip excitedly as her fingers flew across the keypad on her phone. Her phone had been bipping and beeping and buzzing from the moment that she had arrived in my house. Lord knows why she needed to be in my house in order to text Alex, but after the first few interrupted conversations, I had given up on talking to her and had picked up a book instead.

                “You do realise that you’re going to see Alex tonight, right?” I questioned as I put the book to the side, making a mental note of the page number.

                Olivia nodded in agreement but still refused to look up from her phone screen. “Then can you tell me why my best friend came all the way over to my house to text her boyfriend? I have better things to be doing, you know.” I teased and Olivia finally took the time to meet my eyes.

                “I had to be here.” She replied cryptically.

                “Okay,” I said, dragging out the word, “and why do you ‘have’ to be here?”

                “To make sure that you come tonight.” Olivia’s phone vibrated and I sighed as her attention was immediately diverted. I pushed myself off of the bed and moved over to Olivia, clapping loudly in her face.

                “Focus.” I warned, “I’ve already said that I’ll come with you tonight, I need to give your boyfriend my approval.”

                Olivia smiled smugly when I called Alex her boyfriend. They hadn’t made it official yet, but from the few nauseatingly sweet texts that I’d read, it wouldn’t be much longer. It looked like Olivia might actually like like Alex too, as opposed to just wanting him for his body. I certainly hoped so; Olivia deserved a relationship which was more than just physical.

                I shook my head at the lustful look on Olivia’s face. On the other hand, maybe Alex was the one I should be worrying about. Liv was more sex-crazed than a teenage boy. My best friend gaped at me when I told her this, whacking me on the head for good measure. “Hey, it’s not my fault that I appreciate the finer things in life,” she said flirtatiously and I laughed at the suggestive look that she was giving me. Then again, there are some things will never change…

                “Whatever floats your boat,” I shook my head and decided to return to the original topic. Clearly this was an argument that I was never going to win. “So why are you here? I’ve already told you that I’m going bowling with you. I mean, I need to leave early for Doris’ thing, but I’m definitely going.”

                Olivia blushed and looked at the ground to avoid my eyes. I frowned, getting slightly suspicious now. “Livvy, what have you done?” I asked cautiously.

                “Well, there might be someone else coming as well.” She muttered quietly.

I laughed at her guilty expression. “That’s it? To be honest, it’s a relief. I won’t be the lonely third wheel while you and Alex are ‘getting to know each other’. I mean, so long as it’s not Jay, I’ll be fine.” My chuckle died out as my words hung awkwardly in the air. Olivia had gone so red that she could have given a tomato a run for its money. “You didn’t…” I scowled as Olivia dipped her head, unable to face my accusatory stare.

“Maybe…” she said quietly before dashing out of the room and locking herself in the toilet.

“Don’t think that this flimsy piece of wood is going to protect you,” I threatened as I banged on the bathroom door, “You invited Jay?” I couldn’t believe her. Olivia knew better than anyone how much I disliked Jay, but she went ahead and did this? Unbelievable.