Chapter 1: Prevailing Truth

Choi Seulgi

Summer is almost over. I can feel the heat fading away, but since I live in Phoenix, I'll have to settle with the sun's ray every single day. If I'd go away, I'd miss the heat. Books has been my indulgence ever since I was kid. Living in an orphanage, all you could do is read and read and read under the blue southern sky and the beautiful rays of the sun block by an enormous tree, which adds the great warmth from the fresh air.

You heard right. I am an orphan. My aunt is the owner and I don't have any parents. I did have but that was a long time ago and was nearly 20 years ago, but I'm still Seventeen. Turning Eighteen actually by mid October. To sort out the issue, my 'not-related-by-blood' Aunt was my mother's dear friend and colleague. 

So, apparently, she is supposed to tell me about my Mom, or just simply, my parents. But she didn't. She hated my Mom back then, she once told me, and I don't have the single idea, why! She didn't have photographs and how I got here. She said both of my parents are Korean. She took me as a respect and a dear promise to my Mom when she died in an accident, nearly Eighteen years ago. She said my parents died and was buried in Korea. I am a Korean, but I don not have a single idea why I live here in America. Maybe because, my parents live here before.

I was in my room reading this new book I saw while surfing the internet when someone knock on the door. The orphanage is actually big where, everyone who lives here have the chance of getting their on room or else, a room partner. Maybe a bunch of kids playing around, so I just ignored it.

"Seulgi! Kindly open the door!"

"Wait"

Oh geez! It's Aunt again. She never really get to walk up to my room unless, oh no, unless she'll send me to another foster home. No way this time. Okay, as a special orphan, I get to go to foster care and foster homes too. Until the barren parents decided to keep for real, but almost seventeen years, none haven't the guts to adopt me. No one ones to adopt an older child. Okay, I've been to a lot of foster homes but they I never really felt that 'home feeling' they say in books. It's so tiring packing up your things to go a new foster home and to pack up your things, again, to go back to the orphanage. It's actually heart breaking.

"Yes?" I answered, letting my door open it widely for her. She was smiling and, so am I. I looked down at her, and there. The suitcase. A new suitcase. A suitcase for another foster home and this time it's much more bigger than before. It's been a year since I was in a foster home and it was horrible. They have this kid that merely look like a murderer when she looks at you. It's a she. And it was horrible.

"Another foster home?"

"And this time it's for real?! Seulgi its-"

"Can you go out please and leave alone for a moment"

"But Seulgi this-"

"Please!"

I looked back and saw her placed the suitcase beside my bed and left. I heaved out a big sigh. I opened the doors of my corridors and let the fresh air ruin my hair all around. I brushed myself in Vendrick's arm. His been a good friend and companion to me. Together with the big sigh, a tear left my eye in awe.

****

"What?! For real?! But, no way?! It must be a scam?! He can't be?!"

"Seulgi-"

"No way! Maybe this is another alibi so that you can convince me to go this place. And this Korea. That's half way across the world"

"He's your brother"

"You're just tired of caring the hell out of me"

Out of frustration and confusion, I clinch my fist towards the table. I couldn't do this anymore. I am so damn tired of this life. My Aunt is being weird again. 

"No! What are you saying Seulgi?! He is your real brother. Your Dad went to Korea after your Mom and him broke up and she already bore your brother. Your Dad left your brother in Korea with your grandparents to get your Mom. Just then after four years of setting things up your Mom gave birth to you. Your parents decided to move to Korea, to live a normal life, but it was too late. Your parents died in a car crash after heading to the airport for your passport"

She then gave me a brown edgy envelope, placing it in the table with a green pouch on it, "The truth will always prevail Seulgi" she walks up and kissed my forehead, "You don't know how much I owe your parents" she said and then,leaving me behind.

~To our dearest Seungcheol and Seulgi~