Chapter 2: The Arrival

Choi Seulgi

Summer is almost over. And I'm about to change my life forever. Is this the answers to my endless hopes and prayers of home? Looking back to the old enormous tree at the backyard, I remember wishing above that someday I'll find home. And now here, leaving Phoenix behind and discover this home. I'd miss the heat eventually.

Walking across the room, I stopped by the mirror beside my study table. I looked at myself and quickly brushed my hair through my fingers. Aunt said that this mirror belongs to my Mom, it's very dear to her. It has been a memory since they were senior high school. And now, I'm leaving it together with the other things. It hard to leave them behind. They're valuable.

"Seulgi. The taxi is here"

I heard the little girl say. She was behind the door. I looked at her and smiled, "I'll be there in a second"

"Okay then"

Last peek at my room. I heaved out a big sigh, "This will change my life forever" I muttered. Walking away from my room with the suitcase on my right hand and my phone on the other. I'm going to miss this place. Seventeen years I've been here and I I'm going to miss the tree that gives a great shade during a great stroke of heat in Phoenix. The playground across the bookstore I used to stay in for a day. I'll miss this. The heat. The busy streets. The children. The orphanage.

"You ready?"

"Yeah"

Before I could go out of the  building a little girl holding, oh no, Vendrick, how can I forget you before leaving this world? "Seulgi. What about this bear? Will you leave him behind?" she asked in her little squeaky voice. She's actually Piper, she's been abandoned since the day she was bore. I admired her a lot. She was holding Vendrick in her arms.

"Can I ask a favor before leaving"

"Yes. What is it?"

"Can you take him for me till I come back? WIll you?"

"Yes. I will. I promise. A broken promise cannot be glued back"

Very well said little girl. I hugged her and stood up. I bid goodbye to the children around and the employees working in the orphanage. Even my home-schooled teachers came.

"Bye Seulgi"

"Take care"

"We will miss Seulgi"

"Don't forget us"

I will never forget this place. I promise.

****

After a few minutes, the cab parked at the airport. I looked around and everyone seems busy and never cares about the surroundings. This has been the atmosphere of the airport. I hop off and got my suitcase and my spare bag. Aunt assisted with the suitcase since it's been a very huge one and it's not that light.