Chapter Two

“So, what you’re saying is that our financial situation is worse than what was previously thought?” Sarah asked slowly, articulating each word with emphasis, trying to decipher what the monkeys in suits across the long table had told her. They were Future Electric’s financial advisors, one of them being an egotistical ass that was paid less than her and he knew it.

“Yes, that’s what we just said.” The ass, John, said looking at her with an irritable gaze.

“How bad is it?” Franklin asked, then realizing that was a question they had been trying to answer already, he opted to rephrase it. “Give me facts, figures; I want numbers I can look at on a chart.” He added, knowing that he’d have the information on his desk within a week.

“What I want to know,” James started, leaning forwards in his seat. “How is it that our finances became this bad without us being informed before? We are paying you to keep an eye on this, are we not?” He asked, his tone becoming increasingly more aggravated with each word. One thing most of the people in the office had learned the hard way was that James, for as nice of a founder as he was of the company; he had a temper when it came to getting the job done right.

“Well, yes, but with your recent increase in spending in the development field, we weren’t able to calculate until we’d seen the figures.” One of the monkeys stuttered.

“Had you listened to us about focusing on research instead of starting development on a premature idea, you wouldn’t be in this situation at all.” John said, stressing his words in a frustrated manner. He obviously hadn’t learned about James temper, because James turned a darker shade of red and his normally bright eyes darkened immediately. He leaned forward in his chair towards John, but before he could start on him, Franklin interrupted.

“Alright, let’s focus on the bigger issue, how can we fix this? What do we need to do to get the funds we need to stay afloat?” Franklin asked. Sarah had to admire that about him, he was a good boss. No matter how much stress he may have been feeling, he always put his job first and he always did it with a level head.

“Sir, may I speak honestly?” The man who had been stuttering earlier asked.

“That’s what we are paying you for, idiot.” James muttered under his breath irritably.

“Go ahead.” Franklin said, shooting a brief glare in James direction.

“The only way to get out of this so that we’ll start actually making money is if we get business. We need to get a few more partners to stay afloat.” He coughed and looked awkward for a moment, before speaking again. “That sounds easy enough, but we haven’t exactly been doing well in finding benefactors or people willing to take a risk in hydroelectricity. There isn’t a big enough success rate on it; it’s easier to just spend a little extra money on something safer.” He said, avoiding the two founders gaze as he did so.

“Well alright then, how can we get more?” James asked sitting forward again in his seat. He was gripping his hands together so hard that his knuckles had begun to turn white and Sarah knew it was her turn to step in and save the bumbling baboons across from her.

“If I may,” She started, waiting briefly for a nod. “I think the best way to make any partners, is to, well in other words, reel in a big fish. If we can get a big name brand company to put their name next to ours and back us, I think the smaller companies will feel much more comfortable with signing up.” Sarah had already compiled a list of the businesses that she wanted to go for and pulled them out after she had finished speaking.

“Just who are you suggesting we pursue then?” John, the jerk, asked in a condescending tone. Had he paid half as much attention to the men paying him, as he did to every possible opportunity of being a dickhead, he would have noticed the brief glares that Franklin and James shot him.