3. My Mentor

"What about my mom and my siblings?" I followed 47 out of the garage. He did not stop for once, he just kept on walking without looking back.

"I wrote a letter to them, informing them about your death." He bluntly replied. "But that isn't true is it?"

He did not realise the shock he had given me and I was stunned upon hearing his words.

"We do not have all day. Diana is waiting to see you." He continued walking.

I caught up with him before asking him who Diana was. He was quiet but as soon as we reached a yellow sports car, he took my breath away with his cold stare. "Diana Burnwood is my handler. She and I are a part of The International Contract Agency. I have never seen her but she contacts me through phone calls and she assigns me with clients, targets and information."

It took me a moment to realise if any of his words were making any sense and to my surprise, they were. We sat in the car and on the way, I did not even utter a word. All I could think about was my dear family. What must they be going through upon hearing about my so-called death? The house would be full of solemnity and a depressed tranquility.

I wanted to cry but I couldn't. It felt as if there were no tears left to shed and my heart felt cold. A sharp pain was driving through my heart but it wasn't hurting. It was the oddest feeling I had ever encountered.

I looked up at Agent 47 and wondered if he was going through the same state. The whole journey was spent by me observing him without uttering a single word.

When the car came to a stop, he blankly stated, "Diana is inside that hut. Go and see her."

My gaze averted towards the tiny hut and my feet led me out of the car, towards the hut. I turned around to look at Agent 47 but the car was gone. Nevertheless, I proceeded towards the hut and entered it cautiously. I had never been so alert but upon seeing a woman, standing in the middle of the room, I let go of my cautioned behaviour.

"Miss Winston," her red lipstick covered lips lifted up into a playful smirk, "I won't lie, I really was looking forward on seeing you. Do you know why you are here?"

My head shook in denial and I knew I had a completely blank expression on my face. She noticed it and she was trying hard to make me feel comfortable. She took a seat and offered me to do the same.

"I suppose you already know that you are an agent." Her head slightly tilted to her side as her silky brunette hair fell below her shoulder. "I won't waste my time on explaining that. But let me just tell you, you are a key needed to find Dr. Winston. Agent 47 is supposed to be your mentor in this journey. You also have to be aware of the fact that we, The Agency, are not the only ones searching for Dr. Winston. A corporation known as Syndicate International is also behind Dr. Winston and they know about you. They might try to kill you in order to access your abilities and memories. Therefore, it is important to kill any syndicate employee which comes in your way. Is it all understood?"

I looked down at my hands which were kept in my lap as a question overlapped my thoughts. "Why me?"

Diana glanced at me with sympathy in her eyes. She stood up and made her way towards me as she patted on my back. "It isn't that bad. In this Agency, you just have to survive, achieve and unlock secrets. Now go, Agent 47 is waiting."

With a nod, I left the house and found 47 standing stiffly in front of the car with his arms folded across his broad chest. He just stared and watched me as I walked towards him.

"Diana told me everything. You should have come inside." I spoke gently.

He stared and stared for a few seconds until he final uttered his reply. "Diana and I are not permitted to see each other in person or develop a personal friendship with each other."

He answered my question with great solemnity but it was straight to the point. We sat in the car and he drove. I had to depend on him because I was clueless. As Diana had said, he was my mentor, and obeying him was my duty. But it wouldn't hurt to ask him some questions.

"Diana said you would teach me, you would be my mentor. What will you make me learn?" I asked in a shrieking voice.

"Tactics, defence and attack. Deep inside, you know everything but I am just going to make you practice." He then pulled out a penknife from his coat and handed it to me. "Here, have this knife. It will protect you."

My hands shook as I grabbed the knife. I knew I would never use it but I was scared. I wanted to be a person who would never harm someone without any reason but now it had come down to this. The Agency, The Syndicate, Agents, Handlers, everything seemed so bewildering.

"Amy, you think too much." Agent 47 threw a random comment and it surprised me. He focused on driving the car once again and he acted as if he had never said anything. He was such a fascination.