5. Hunger

It was a dark red room, covered with a sinful aura of bloodlust and I stood in the middle. On my left, there was a large printer, printing a bunch of photos, while on my right was a cabinet. I stepped towards the printer and once it had completed printing the photo, I grabbed it. A picture of 47. His blue eyes staring right into my soul. It gave me shivers and I dropped the photo before rushing towards the cabinet. Once I opened the brown rusty cabinet, there was a bright light, almost blinding, which was followed by a shrill sound.

            The shrill sound caused my eyes to open wide and once again, I realised it was all a dream. I rubbed my eyes and tilted to my side, and that's when I found 47. He was standing beside the tree, his back facing me. His posture showed that he was on guard. He was aware of every little sound and movement. When he heard the shuffling of leaves from my side, he turned around and blankly stared at me. It flustered me but I sat up straight. "It's been a long night." I stated. "Did you get any sleep?"

             "I do not sleep, nor do I feel hunger." He stood motionless while uttering these words. I stood up and walked towards him. The closer I got, the faster my heart started beating. This man scared me. He was my fear, yet he wasn't my enemy. I pulled out the dagger he gave me from my pocket and positioned it just below his chest. "But do you feel pain?" I asked.

              Once again, motionless. Gradually, he grabbed my hand and moved in closer. "You are hungry."

              My lips slightly parted and embarrassment took over me when my stomach grumbled. That's when he twisted my arm behind my back and held me tightly so that I did not escape. "Do not trust anyone. The training is not even over yet." He whispered into my ear as the pain slowly kindled from my arm and travelled all the way up. "Scream." He whispered, but I did not obey. "Scream!" He shouted this time but I, once again, did not obey. That's when another vision seemed to flash in front of me.

The white helmets, or the Syndicate, rushing through the forest. The man leading them carrying a bow with poisoned mechanical arrows.

"The Syndicate is here. We need to leave." I cried in pain and 47 let go of me. He looked to his left and to his right before deciding to rush straight ahead. I followed him. We ran faster than the speed of light for as long as we could, and finally I spotted the road and heard a bunch of cars passing. We stopped once we entered the road. "You know what to do." 47 said. I raised and shook my hands and stood in the middle of the road once I saw a truck approaching. The driver stopped upon seeing me and I breathlessly walked towards the window. "We need a ride. Do you have space at the back?"

"There is space for two. Hop on." The driver courteously exclaimed. I felt my heart fill with joy as 47 and I hopped on the open back of the truck. It drove, while I stared at 47, who did not show a single sign of fatigue from the run. "I assume you do not get tired as well."

"I do not." He reached for his pockets and took out a bun which he handed to me. I was skeptical before I grabbed it and bit it with my front teeth. He watched me emotionlessly while I ate it, and I realised how hungry I had been. "You deserved it."

"The bun or the run?" I sighed with my mouth full. I felt him smile from the corner of my eyes, but when I looked up, he sat there with a blank face again. "Look, if you smiled, it would be easier."

He did not reply for one whole minute. I could feel him sort out words to utter, as if he was solving a complex jigsaw puzzle and he finally uttered his well structured words. "I do not smile, I do not laugh, I do not show remorse."

"Okay, baldy." I looked away but I felt him smile again, which in turn made me smile because his words were quite contradictory. "Do not call me that, Amanda." He replied.

"My name is Amy, not Amanda! Amanda is an old people's name! Do I look old to you, baldy?" I almost leaped on him. "You look older than your mother, Amanda." He blankly answered.

"Hey, don't say that." I tried to lightly punch him but he grabbed my arm and pulled me close. So close were we, I could feel his skin radiating cold instead of warmth. There was blood which ran through him, but his skin was still so cold. I slowly raised my hand and caressed his stone cold skin before warming it with my hand. He did not seem to stop me. I ran my hand around his cheeks and then down his chiseled chin. He shut his eyes, and pushed me away gently. "Do not trust anyone, Amy." He repeated the words he had said to me before, while I sat back where I was sitting previously, except this time I sat dumbfounded.