Chapter Five

I lay on the beach with Bianca, letting the sun soak into me. The heat felt amazing after such a long week. It was the first weekend since Bianca had gotten back and we were spending the first day of it at the beach.

Soon enough, my eyes shut and I drifted off to sleep with a hand over my eyes to block the sun. Immediately, I was in a dream flashback from freshman year.

I was at my locker, wearing a blue t shirt with a pair of new jeans. I bought them because I had a crush on this guy that I had known since 3rd grade. I felt good in them and couldn't wait to get to class and see him. We had known each other for years but never really did any talking other than what was necessary. Nevertheless, I liked Quilian because he had this self confident attitude that attracted me towards him. I wasn't necessarily extremely unconfident but I did care what other people thought. A lot.

I shut my locker and headed towards class and immediately noticed that Quilian was behind me with one of his friends, Isaac. They were laughing about something and I smiled to myself as I heard Quilian chuckle. He had such a nice laugh, a laugh that made you want to laugh too.

"Hey," Isaac said to Quilian. "There's flabby Kelly."

I kept walking but breathed in sharply. Was that really what they called me? Please don't let him say anything back about me, please don't let him say anything back about me, I prayed. I could stand Isaac, he was known for his heartless remarks but I didn't want Quilian to say anything.

Quilian laughed again, but it wasn't a nice laugh. "Yeah, don't know why she would want to look like that."

I stopped in my tracks, trembling. I couldn't believe that he had just said that. Tears started forming around my eyes, and I looked back at them.

I heard them stop behind me too. "Oh, shit, do you think she heard us?" Isaac muttered to Quilian.

"So what if she did? I'm sure she's heard it before," He replied off handedly, staring right at me. They continued walking, ignoring me.

I dashed into the girl's bathroom and didn't come out till the next bell rang, sobbing the entire time.

I woke up with a start from a seagull trying to steal my craisins.

"Shoo!" I shouted, yelling at the bird. "Get the hell out of here!" I hid the craisins in my bag and shook Bianca awake.

"Let's get in the water," was all I said. I didn't want to think about this anymore.

~~~~~~

Bianca and I laughed as we walked up the path to the parking area. After spending about forty-five minutes splashing and swimming in the waves, we decided it was time to head home.

I had my beach bag on one hand and a towel slung over my shoulder as I panted up the steep path. I wasn't confident enough to wear a bikini yet, so my present bathing suit was a cute, bright blue one piece with a halter neck, over which I had just slipped on a pair of jean shorts for the ride home.

It wasn't because I wasn't skinny that I didn't want to wear a bikini. I was skinny. A little too skinny for my own body. I needed time to get back to a healthy weight, and I was still on a special diet. I was getting there though.

I didn't know why, but I actually felt really cute right then, despite my overly thin body. I was wearing my new sunglasses Bianca had gotten for me on her trip with my drying hair up in a ponytail, feeling like your typical surfer girl... Except I couldn't surf of course.