Chapter 5

Rose's POV

"Ow!"

Thinking my head on my bed frame, I hurriedly got out of bed.

"If only we lived in a better house."

"What did you say dear?"

With a question mark growing on her face, mom slithered into my room. I didn't even notice that she was there. If only my mother was a bit more clumsy, maybe then I wouldn't have to be so sneaky like her.

"Oh nothing. I was just talking to myself."

A minute when by. Two minutes went by. Then she spoke up.

"You know, if you want to move back to the U.S., we can try to make that work."

My brain was alarmed. What did she say? Did she say she was ok with it? I thought she never wants to step back in the U.S. again.

Creak! As if the bed itself was alive, it hissed a warning to tell us it might break under all this weight. Truthfully, me and my mom aren't even that heavy. We're pretty petite.

"So..."

Once again, the silence trapped us in its grasp. If only I was good at talking about my emotions, we would be laughing about some weird memory right now. Apparently, I got this trait from my dad. I still miss him from time to time...

"Let's not talk about America anymore. Let's talk about you. So, how's school going?"

Giving her the slightest smile, I begin to tell her the truth. I really didn't want to tell her anything, but the story itself seemed to just poor itself out of my mouth.

"I see."

The silence was intoxicating. I didn't know whether she was deciding to kill me for hanging out with some boy I barely know in a new place that I also barely know or if she was deciding that she might plan to put a bomb in the house so it could explode. Either way, the expression plastered on her face didn't look too promising for me and my hopes.

"I'm glad that he's alright now, but just don't get involved in anymore of these situations. I don't want you to be at a complete loss. I trust you."

Simply giving my a pat on the shoulder, she gingerly stood up and left. A cold breeze swept into my room from the open window. Why am I in a mess like this?

Takuto's POV

Where is she? Did she forget about me? Everyone who I always seem to like seems to forget about me. I guess I'm just a lost cause after all...

Thud!

"URGH!"

"Is someone there?"

No reply.

A faint breathe was heard but it didn't come from me. It sounded high pitched. Is it a kid?

Meekly peeking from behind the curtain that separated my bed and the bed next to me, a small fellow's head popped out.

"H-hello."

Chuckling, I stared at him until he finally found the courage to speak again.

"I couldn't help but notice. You looked lonely up here so....I thought I would pay you a visit."

It was the boy. The boy that was on the field.

"Do you want to play a game?"

Pulling a chair next to me, he say himself down with a tiny plump! Not knowing what to say, I stared at him. A minute past by. Then maybe two.

"Okay then. I'll choose."

Looking down meekly, he pulled out a sketchbook from his back. I guess he's a young artist as well.

"Look! It's a-wait! You try to guess what it is!"

I can see the longing in his eyes. He looks so lonely. A lonely soul that depends on others for help. He's the mirror image of me. Except at the least, he gets to go out and play while I'm in a hospital bed, not being able to climb out, and not sit up in the bed by myself.

The drawing was of a human.

"Human."

The boy began to laugh. Not a forced laugh, but a natural laugh. It's nice to see children like this. It's cute.

"But who is it?"

Looking closer at the drawing, I noticed that he had short hair like me. Soft brown hair. A fair complexion.

"Me?"

Wrong answer.

Eerie silence interrupts the room followed by an excessive breeze of wind.

"No. It's my brother."

Under the brilliant rays of the sunshine, I watch as the boy's eyes begin to tell a story.

"He was my best friend. You want to know why I'm in the hospital? My brother gave his life for me. I wasn't being careful. I was racing my friend. We were playing tag. The road near our house looked empty. I raced my friend across it. He didn't get injured. I was about to. My big brother came and saved me like a hero."

Listening to the sad tale, a stream of salty guilt fled the young boy's right eye, followed by his left eye. Crippling, crippling, crippling: he self destructed. Like shards from a mirror, he hurt himself the more he forced the story out.

"You don't-"

"Like batman, he saved me."

The sound of ones agony began to flood the room. A blue hue faltered onto the room. No more sunshine was left in the room. Not even a breeze came whirling in.

I don't think I can do anything for him now. All things that get wounded will heal. Eventually.
Song: Sorry (piano)
Composer: Lucas King