Chapter 5

I got home. I was so happy about spending the day with Matthew. It felt do weird calling him that. I giggled to myself.

I skipped to the kitchen to see my mom sitting in the counter.

"Hello" mom said giving me a weird gaze.

"Hey mom"

I turned and smiled to Ashley who was playing with her carrots. Sometimes I wished that I could go back to being five when the only thing to worry about was if Dora the explorer was getting to her destination.

The phone rang and mom answered it.

"Hello" she said leaving the kitchen.

When she came back she looked weird.

"What happened?"

"Nothing just your father. He said that the boss said we are leaving this upcoming monday to the cruise"

"oh okay"

"that's it? No complains?" she asked surprised.

"No. I knew you guys were going to that cruise anyway"

I helped her make a chicken salad which I used to love but now I wanted to erase from the face of the earth. I think it was because I ate it so much.

We ate when dad got back from work. He looked so happy about going to the cruise. It was his first real task at his new position.

"So Coraline since Mrs. Radar can't come all the way from Massachusetts to watch over you, you will need to stay here by yourself until we come back"

"Umm dad I think I am old enough to stay by myself"

"Well with all the problems you've had in school I am not so sure I mean you could have a crazy party for all we know" said dad exchanging a look with my mom.

"Dad, mom I promise I'll behave" I said putting my best innocent face on.

"Well I have to go back to the office now, I need to prepare paperwork for next week" said dad as he got up to leave.

"Are you coming back for dinner?" mom asked.

"I don't know, I'll call" he kissed mom and kissed us in the forehead before he left.

I finished my food and helped with the dishes. Why do I always have to do the dishes? I hated washing dishes.

"I am taking Ashley to the mall. We need to get her suitable clothes for the cruise. Want to come?" mom asked me.

"No I am fine. I need to do homework"

"Okay I'll bring you something anyway"

When she left I went up to my room. I really didnt have anything to do since I practically skipped school.

I couldn't really concentrate on the tv though. All I could think about was Mr. Maze. Or Matthew. He was so different from all the other guys I had met.

His bright hazel eyes, those well toned muscles, that neatly combed hair, his cologne scent, oh and that sexy voice...

Wait. He is different from other guys. He is MY ENGLISH TEACHER!

I decided to read The Crucible to get my mind of the gutter.

My mom was back home in two hours.

"Coraline! Look what I got you" she said from downstairs.

I wasn't very excited but mom always felt the need to buy me things specially that were not my type. I didn't want to upset her so quickly made my way to her.