Chapter 3

It was six in the morning when I remembered that Mr. Maze assignment was due today.

I quickly got up and started to search for a scary story from Mexico. There were lots of them. Crap.

There was one that sounded great about the chupacabra, it seemed weird though.

I ended up choosing a legend about a women who drowns her children due to an affair and then at night she comes out crying "Oh my children!!!!" looking for them by a river.

I printed the legend and got ready for school. I sat for breakfast alone. My parents and Ashley were gone.

I grabbed the papers from the printer and walked to my car. I was looking for my keys. The I noticed in the corner of my eye someone was looking at me from a bush.

I quickly got in and drove off. I couldn't see who it was and definitely didn't want to find out.

I walked inside to school and found Stevie standing by the main entrance.

"Hey Stevie"

She turned to me and smiled.

"Hey Coraline!" she gave me a hug.

"What are you here so early?" I asked her.

"Well I was waiting for James but he didn't show up" a disappointed look on her face.

"What's wrong Stevie? I noticed something weird about you two sense yesterday in math"

"It's nothing" she said looking away avoiding eye contact.

"I know something is going on. You can't lie to me Stevie. Come on let's take a walk" I grabbed her arm and walked inside school.

"I don't know what to do Coraline"

"What do you mean?" then I realized it. "You like him don't you"

She looked at me with tears on her eyes and nodded.

"Does he like you?"

"Well yesterday he said that he though I was pretty"

"Then why are you crying you dork! He likes you" I said stoping in the middle of the hallway.

"He said he thought I was pretty but he liked someone else"

Oh poop

"I am sorry Stevie. He is a loser if he can't see how wonderful you are"

"Thanks Coraline, you're a great friend" 

She hugged me. God I hated hugs but if she would feel better with one then I was happy to give her one.

"Did he tell you who he likes" I asked her on the way to class.

"No he said that she is in our math class though"

"oh well I am sure he will realize that you guys are made for each other"

We sat in our usual seats. It would feel weird having Stevie upset when she was always so happy. I felt bad.

"Here he comes" she said grabbing a book to look like she was busy.

"Hey Stevie, hey Coraline" he said taking his seat in front of Stevie and I.

"Hey James. What up?" I asked casually.

"I am good" he took his notebook out and the math notes.

We just sat there until class started. It all so quiet between us.

"Today we will be working in groups. Please make groups of no more than five" the teacher said.

Everyone in class knew who and where to go to. It almost looked rehearsed.