Chapter 7

Kiera

          I just freaking beat a Neph at hand to hand combat. That weird thing happened again to me. It was like time suspended for a quick second and I got these flashes of Caleb's arm wrapping around my neck a moment before he was actually going to do it. In that second, I was already one step ahead of him and took him down.

          My roommates, Jack and Aaron, from the Gray Sector each took their turns and were defeated. I kind of stopped watching the fights after a while. I didn't know who anyone was or what experience they had. I was just feeling pretty damn proud of myself for winning that round.

          Declan won his fight, too, of course. I heard whispers about his being a record time to ever defeat someone in the First Trial. Trev also advanced into the next round. I only know they won by looking at the bracket drawn on the board.

          By now, everyone had either won or lost their battle. I was up against some girl named Justine and guessing by the girl who was glaring at me, she would be my next oppenent.  Oh and she just happens to be the girl currently glued to Declan's side. I haven't even said a word to the girl and she has it out for me.

          Whatever, I'll deal with her tomorrow during the Second Trial.

~

          After the trial, we showered which felt amazing. I got all the knots out of my hair and now it actually resembled the color blond. I left my hair down to dry. I even smelled good. I could get used to this place.

          Lunch was the same as breakfast. So was dinner. I went to sleep fairly quickly that night. I was exhausted after all of today's events and I needed to be ready for tomorrow.

~

          The morning bell rang before I was even awake. I jolted upright and threw on the black jumpsuit. My roommates had already left and I was alone. I tossed my long hair in a pony and ran out into the hallway.

          I crashed into something solid and lost my balance. Strong arms reached out and caught me before I could make a fool of myself. Looks like someone else was late and rushing to get to breakfast, too.

          I opened my mouth to apologize until I realized who I had run in to. Trev was smiling down at me and said, "You're late too, Kiera?"

          Strange. He was being friendly. I just nodded not trusting myself to not say something stupid or rude.

          "Well let's go before all of the good food is taken," he said dragging me down the hall.

          Only the White Sector had served themselves so far. The Black Sector was starting to get up when we arrived so I parted ways with Trev while he went to fill his plate. I waited until it was the Gray Sector's turn to get some food. I got up with the two guys and loaded my plate again.

          I ate just as fast as yesterday, not even caring if Justine or Declan were watching. I was still hungry after eating all of it. A tap on my shoulder made me turn around and almost fall out of my seat.

          Trev was standing there holding out his half eaten breakfast. My eyes opened up really wide making me look like a complete idiot. Laughing good-naturedly, he set the dish in front of me and walked away. He was acting really weird, but I wasn't complaining.