Chapter Fourteen: Heart Pounding

The next morning, with a kiss on the cheek from Curtis, I walk to work. I groan inwardly when I see Alexander standing outside. A week ago,  I would have been doing cartwheels if Alexander waited outside for me. This week, though, all I feel is stomach-turning disgust. He looks so smug, standing there in his fancy clothes. Probably thinking he could win me back. Probably thinking he looks so irresistible with the sunlight glinting off his hair. Which he does. But only if you don't know that the filling of this chocolate isn't as irresistible as its shell.

  I trudge up the steps and Alexander turns towards me. He practically sneers at me and says, "You have a fitting at one. Mother's off visiting relatives, so I'm the boss."

  He smirks evilly. "Which means, girly, that you have to do every little thing I desire for you to do for me," he says slowly, stepping closer to me with each word. 

  I shudder. He's so close to me and my heart is pounding. But not longer is he heart-pounding in a good way. Rather, in a nerve-wracking, get-away-from-me kind of way.

  "I can make your life a living hell today, so you better be good," he says threateningly. And with that, he hands me a list, spins on his heel, and leaves.

  I get to work, eager to have something to think about other than his little threats. What does he mean? What should I do? What plans does he have up his sleeve? Through out the day, these thoughts taunt me. Until it's time for the dress fitting.

  I arrive promptly at one at the dressmaker's room. Alexander is already there, examining the dress draped over a chair. My dress. It's practically done, just needs to be hemmed. The dressmaker looks up. "Oh, I'm so glad you're here! The dress is almost finished and I wanted to hear your opinion!" she says excitedly.

  She hands me a shirt to wear underneath the dress. I put on a slip and some petticoats. Finally comes the beautiful yellow silk dress. I turn around to look in the mirror. My skirts are full and spilling out. The dress itself is elegant, with its lace straps. I look  like a society girl, but perhaps better. The yellow of my dress is more striking than the pinks and beiges of the other girls' dresses. I love it. I thank the dressmaker repeatedly, and then we exit.

   Once we're out, Alexander lays out some ground rules for the party. "No telling anyone what I did to you," he says, pausing to give me a meaningful look.

  I idiotically blurt out, "Why shouldn't I?" 

  He glares at me and steps up to me. Very close to me. "Why shouldn't you?" he whispers threateningly. "Because if you do, this will happen." Without warning, he grips my wrist tightly and begins to lead me down the hall.

  "Where are you taking me?" I ask, frantic.

  I twist and thrash, trying to release my arm from his tight grip. I kick and punch, but he keeps leading me through the house, until we get to a large room. It has an enormous bed in the middle.

  "Lie down," he snarls.

  "Why should I?" I ask, arms crossed defiantly.

  "Because if not, I can have you fired," he says.

  I stare back at him and narrow my eyes. "I could have your reputation tarnished through the whole England. What would everyone think if they found out that high-society's golden boy is really just a rusted piece of iron?"

  He pushes me down on to the bed. "Get off of me!" I kick him.

  We hear a servant's voice down the hall. He opens the door. "Rosalie! Are you okay?" he asks.  Alexander looks up and I jump up.

  I practically hug the servant, who I now realize is the butler, August. "Thank you!" I exclaim, over and over again.   August  looks confused. "Y-you, A-Alexander," he stammers. "He was doing something to you. Something you didn't want." I nod. Just like him, I'm trying to make sense of it. 

  We walk out. "Rosalie, I don't care. You have to do something," he urges. I sigh. If only he knew. About our past relationship. About Curtis. About everything.