Chapter Fifteen: Permanent Worries

I nod in false agreement, pretending that I'm listening to what August is saying. I know that he wants me to tell someone about Alexander, but he doesn't know about our complicated history. Besides, who would believe any claims a lowly maid makes about society's most prized treasure? Despite all this, I just nod, so that August won't yell at me anymore.

     Later that day, when I arrive home, I'm surprised to find Curtis standing outside our hut. At this time, he's usually in the shop, helping his father. Instantly my mind goes in to panic mode. Why is he here? Is something wrong? Did something happen to Lily? I rush up to Curtis.

  Breathlessly, I say, "What's wrong? Did something happen? Why are you here?"

  Curtis looks at me, then bursts out laughing. I stamp my foot childishly. "Don't laugh at me!" I shout.

  He laughs some more, then clears his throat and says, "Sorry for laughing at you. Just that you're always worrying about something. I can't even meet you after Father let me not work today without you thinking something is wrong."

  "Can you blame me? I've lost too much. I don't want to lose anyone else," I say quietly.

  "Whatever," Curtis says dismissively, trying to get off the topic.  "Anyway," he says, "Father let me off early. Where should we go?"

 "Somewhere where we can be alone. I have something to tell you," I say.

 Curtis smirks happily. "My thoughts exactly." We walk through the village, until we reach the forest right on the outskirts of it. We sit down on the damp, grassy ground.

  I inhale deeply, then begin, "I need you to not tell a soul about this." I recount the story of what happened today, from the dress fitting right down to when August came in and what he told me. I watch as Curtis's expression turns from surprise to anger to downright fury.

  "You shouldn't tell anyone because by the time I'm through with him, he won't have the strength to do that to anyone else," Curtis says through gritted teeth, his hands balled up in to aggressive fists, his jaw tense in anger.

  I roll my eyes at his hyper-masculinity. "Curtis, gosh, don't do that. Unless you want to get me fired," I say, exasperated. In a way, I'm flattered that Curtis wants to defend me. But I'm a bit tired of Curtis assuming that I'm some weakling who can't fend for herself.

 "Fine," Curtis says, acquiescing. "But if that ass gives you anymore trouble..."

"Just don't tell anyone, okay?" I tell him. He nods. And so, we turn around to go home, to return to relative normalcy.