Chapter 1

Sorrow, Despair, Regret. These thoughts come to mind. Just like every other time they come to mind, its because of of the reaping. Twelve years ago my mother, Karen, had me. On this most dreaded of days, my mother had me. The day of the reaping. My mother told me numerous of times about that day. About how she was finally able to have a child, and when she did she had it on reaping day. My mother named me Rue. I use to hate my name until one day she told me the meaning behind it. Rue means Sorrow. She was sorry that she had me on the most dreaded day. This morning I woke up to my mother crying I her bed. I walked over to ask her what was wrong, but I knew. Not only is today reaping day, but now I have a chance of being called. Once you turn twelve your automatically put into the reaping. Ages 12-18. Once citizens reach the age of twelve, their name is put in the pool for the reaping. At age thirteen, the name is entered twice. An additional entry is given to each person until they reach the age of eighteen - at which point they are no longer eligible for the reaping. Sounds fair, right?
Not quite.
The poor get the worst of it because if you happen to be starving or living in poverty, you can get a year's supply of grain and oil (what is called a "tessera") by adding your name into the pool another time. Now your probably thinking, you're twelve, you're only entered once. Well think again. Due to jobs here in district 11 being quite scares, my mother isn't able to provide for us as much. So my name isn't entered once, its entered 5 times. One supply of grain and oil for each member of my family. Me, my mother and my two sisters. Kirah, who's 8, and Leah, who's 9.
I know my mothers scared that I'll get reaped for these games, but she needs to relax. My two sisters are here and I don't want them worrying. I quickly calm my mother down and head over to my younger sisters. I get Kirah a fluffy pink dress and Leah a fluffy blue dress. Even though they're not at risk of being reaped, they still have to attend the awful reaping. Its required and punishable by law. Once they're dressed I send them over to my mother so she can do their hair. I head over to my closet and get out my grey dressed and brush my hair. I look In the mirror satisfied with how i look.
"You look beautiful"
I turn around startled. I look up to see my mom smiling down at me with teary eyes.
"Thank you" I nod my head
"Don't cry, my chances are small"
I inform her. She just nods and wraps me I'm a tight hug. Once we get to town square we will be separated by age and if I get reaped I will only see my mother for three minutes before I'm taken away to fight in the hunger games. I quickly shake the thought out of my head.
"Come on." I pull my mother's hand, "we're going to be late."
She nodded and grabbed Leah and Kirah as we made our way to town square.

+++++

There are bright banners and cameras everywhere (the proceedings are televised by the state), but still there is "an air of grimness." I tell my mother and my siblings ill see them after the reaping. I begin to walk over to the 12 section when i hear people in the crowd are taking bets on whose names will be picked. People sicken me. As I find my spot, i stare at the stage where there are two glass balls with slips of paper in them. Just the thought that my name is in there freaks me out.
As the clock strikes two, the proceedings begin: the mayor tells the history of Panem, a country that emerged from the ashes of a place once known as North America. The country of Panem used to have thirteen districts, but the Dark Days came and the districts rose up against the Capitol. Twelve of the districts were defeated, but the thirteenth was destroyed. The Treaty of Treason was established to bring peace after the uprising. As a reminder of the Dark Days, the Hunger Games were instituted. As a punishment for the uprising of the districts, a lottery is held each year in which a boy and girl from each district is chosen to be a "tribute." Each tribute is taken to the Capitol, where they are imprisoned in a gigantic arena and must, over a long period of time, FIGHT TO THE DEATH. Sound intense? Yeah, i thought so. "The last tribute standing wins" The winning tribute wins food for their district. It's supposed to a festivity, but really, it all sounds pretty terrible. Once the mayor finishes, Levi Henderson, district 11's escort comes to the stand.
"My,My,My, look at all of your lovely faces!" She cheers, "well I don't want to blab on too long, so let's begin shall we?" She cheerfully skips over to the boy jar
"Let's begin with boys for a change" she reaches towards the bottom of the jar, swirls her hand around, then pulls out a paper. She skips back to the microphone and clears her throat.
"Thresh" she says causing my heart to sink. Thresh is an old family friend, he's like an older brother to me...
Thresh pushes through the crowd making his way to the stage. His tall frame made Levi seem puny. She nodded to him.
"Let's have a round of applause" and right on cue, everyone cheered.
"Now onto the girls" she says, a smirk making its way onto her face. She reached her hand into the jar repeating the same action. I hoped and prayed that my name wasn't on that paper. She makes her way back over to the stand and unfolds the paper.
"Rue"
My heart sank. I heard my mom's whimper from across the crowd. I looked over to Levi as people cleared a path for me. I gulped and slowly made my way up to the stage. Levi eyed me with a sympathetic expression plastered on her face. Once I stood at her side she proceeded.
"Ladies and Gentleman, this years district 11 tributes"