Chapter 9

Waking up was the most difficult thing I had ever done.  My eyes reluctantly opened, not wanting to believe it was all a dream.  Fortunately, or unfortunately, for me it wasn't.  I looked beside me to see Dean's naked body asleep.

My hand flew to my mouth as I tried to take silent, calming breaths.  It wasn't working.  My hand went up to my forehead as I stared in disbelief.  How could this happen?  My eyes closed to try to settle my body down. 

When I opened my eyes, I carefully climbed out of the bed and weightlessly ran into the bathroom.  I grabbed onto the counter of the sink, but I kept staring at the ground.  Unable to gather my racing thoughts, I went back out there silently. 

I slowly made my way to Dean's side of the bed to grab my stuff, but then I saw him.  He looked at peace when he was sleeping.  It was probably the only peace he ever got.  The fact that he never had time for himself to just take in his life was heartbreaking.  His story sucked.

Suddenly, the front door opened, scaring the shit out of me as Sam walked in.  My heart almost jumped out of my chest.  I turned away and grunted in shock.  Sam chuckled at my reaction and winked, completely oblivious to what happened last night.

"Sorry," he muttered, his smile sounding in his voice.  "I hope Dean wasn't a total ass to you last night."

A muffled laugh escaped my throat, and I slapped my hand over my mouth.  Sam raised his eyebrow, but I shook my head to try explain.  "No, no he was fine," I half whispered, not able to compose myself.

 Sam gave off a small laugh and took a look at Dean before stopping.  He did a double take and blinked his eyes.  "Did Dean take your bed?" Sam asked, confused.

Fuck.  My whole body and mind froze, but my mouth didn't.  "He passed out on my bed accidentally," I lied.  "It's not a big deal."

Sam stared at Dean in confusion but shook it off and went back to researching.  I let out a breath of relief and collapsed on a chair nearby.  For the next fifteen Sam and I sat in silence as he focused on his laptop and I tried not to have a heart attack.  It was even harder trying not to be hysterical with this new energy in me.

"Bri," a mumbled voice sounded from across the room.  My heart nearly stopped.  "Hey."  When his eyes found mine, they softened and a smug look crossed his face.  The bastard.

"Hey Dean," I said nervously, trying to carefully motion my head to Sam without Sam noticing.  "Sam just got back."

Dean eyes went wide and his head shot straight up.  "Hey Sammy," he bounced back.  "Did you find anything?"

Sam eyes left the screen for a moment to Dean.  "I think I have something," Sam said as I unnoticeably threw Dean his pants, which he caught without looking.  "It's pretty interesting."

"Awesome," Dean muttered as he put his pants on and got out of bed.  We both walked over to Sam and looked over his shoulders to the laptop.  But I felt Dean's eyes scorching threw my soul and we both smiled softly at each other.

"Check this out," Sam interrupted us.  "It says here in ancient myths that there was supposed to be one Destroyer who was to be alone with a human mate so that she could live for as long as was needed to help Earth."

"Is this a legitimate source?" Dean asked.

Sam nodded.  "Definitely," he answered.  "Apparently this tribe worked alongside some of the older Destroyers."

So I'll be with a normal being?  "Does that mean I'm alone?" I blurted out.  "With my species?"

Dean and Sam turned to me, sympathy in their eyes.  "I'm afraid so," Sam whispered.  "I'm sorry."  They both gave me weak smiles, but honestly I didn't feel so alone when I was with them.

"Dean," a voice startled us all.  Castiel was standing in the middle of the room.  "I have some information regarding the mate.  The angels believe he might be somewhere in Arizona."

"They don't know who he is?" I asked.  They're angels, shouldn't they know this?

Castiel sighed.  "This is something the angels have been trying to keep track of, but since he is human we can't find much trace of him."

"Well why don't you go with Cas?" Sam suggested to Dean.  "Briseis and I will head over to Garth's to find some more on the missing cases in the area."

Dean nodded and they both started to pack.  We all went outside and put everything in separate cars.  I felt someone kiss my cheek briefly and saw Dean wink at me as he walked away towards the Impala.

I smirked at him as I made my way to Sam's car, but what I was feeling inside was very different.  I was honestly scared.