*chapter 4*

Chapter Four

“Aubree! Dinner!” Hayley yelled up the stairs.

“Coming! Coming!” Aubree was on the phone with Beverly.

“Tell me what happened with James when I call you back after dinner okay? I have to eat.”

“Okay, bye. Eat fast! Something major happened!”

“Okay, okay! I really gotta go!” Aubree reluctantly hung the phone back up on the wall, the chord hanging. Even though this was the twenty-first century, Aubree wanted a phone that hung on the wall with a chord ever since she had become obsessed with the movie Bye Bye Birdie, the big telephone scene.

Hi Margie, Hi Alice, What’s the story morning glory? What’s the word hummingbird? Have you heard about Hugo and Kim?

You know the one. 

“I’m coming!” Aubree went to the dinner table as Marian Evans set the broccoli and mashed potatoes down on the red-and-white-checkered tablecloth.

“Mom! You’re not usually home this early!” Aubree gave her mom a sort of half hug.

“I know.” Marian sighed.

“Where’s dad?” Aubree sat down for dinner and grabbed a plate off the stack.

“He’s working late tonight.” Marian said hurriedly.

They all sat down.

“Lets say grace.” Marian suddenly suggested. They never prayed.

“Ok.” Hayley said. Aubree didn’t say anything. They all took hands, closed their eyes and bent their heads down a bit.

“Thank god for my two lovely girls, and for this meal we are about to eat. Help us get through any struggles we might be having and help us to make the right choices in our lives and to bless us and bless our family who is not currently with us. Help us to stay healthy and strong. Amen.”

“Amen.” Hayley and Aubree chorused. They all opened their eyes. The room was filled with an awkward sort of vibe, so, Hayley being Hayley decided to crack a joke.

“Knock knock!” She said as Aubree stuffed her mouth with mashed potatoes.

“Who’s there?” Aubree said, putting one hand over her mouth, as she was still eating her potatoes.

“Moo.” Hayley grinned.

“Moo who?” Aubree asked before taking another bite of potatoes.

Hayley opened her mouth but paused.

“Yeah...I kind of forgot the punch line there.” Hayley giggled.

Aubree rolled her eyes. “Of course you did.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Hayley frowned.

“Never mind.”

“Mo-O-om Aubree’s being mean.”

“Hayley, I’ve been sitting here the whole time. Aubree hasn’t done anything. Just please get along girls.”

“Hayley shouldn’t tell knock-knock jokes if she doesn’t even know how to answer it after we say ‘who’s there?’”

“I can tell knock-knock jokes if I want to tell knock-knock jokes!”

“Whatever. I’m done. I’m going to go call Bev. She has news or some-sh-thing.” Aubree tripped over her words. She hoped that her mom hadn’t heard that. Marian gave her a look that said I-know-what-you-were-going-to-say-but-I’ll-pretend-I-don’t. Aubree smiled sheepishly at her mom.

“Aubree. Eat two pieces of broccoli, then you can go.” Marian said.

Aubree stuffed two pieces of broccoli into her mouth, took her plate to the sink, washed it off and stuck it in the dishwasher. Then she raced upstairs.

When Marian was sure that Aubree was out of earshot she turned to Hayley.”

“The next time she bugs you like that, just ignore her. She’s trying to get you riled up. I mean come on Hayls. You’re in high-school now.”

Hayley rolled her eyes.