*chapter 10*

Chapter 10

“Mom? Are you okay?” Aubree had gotten up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. She heard her mother crying.

“Aubree, why are you up?” her mother called through the door, sniffling.

“Bathroom.” Aubree pushed the door open of her moms room.

“Aubree, you should go to sleep.”

“Mom, are you okay?” Aubree sat down on the bed.

“I love you Aubree. Now please go to sleep.”

“Okay. I love you too mom.”

Aubree slowly got up from the bed & left the room, her eyebrows furrowed, wondering what could be wrong. Then she realized that her father hadn’t come home. She immediately turned around.

“Mom, is dad okay?”

Her mother almost laughed.

“Your father is fine.” She had a sort of angry look in her eyes.

Aubree’s stomach dropped.

“Mom, where’s dad?” Aubree’s heart raced. She knew she probably shouldn’t be asking these questions.

“Go to bed Aubree, your father is fine. We will talk about this in the morning.” Marian’s neck veins popped out like she was holding her breath.

Aubree rolled her tongue around in her mouth.

“Ok mom. Goodnight.” Aubree slowly walked to the door as Marian picked up a box of tissues off her nightstand. Aubree opened the door, walked out into the hallway and closed the door. She didn’t realize she had been holding her breath until she walked back into her bedroom, closed the door and let it out. She then rushed over to the bathroom door, through the bathroom and to the door on the other side, the one that led to Hayley’s room. Then she paused. Was this really worth waking Hayley up over?

Then she heard noises coming from Hayley’s room. Someone was…jumping? Aubree whipped open the door.

“Hayley, why are you doing jumping jacks in the dark at two o’ clock in the morning?” Aubree narrowed her eyes at her sister. She was epically confused.

Hayley just stared at Aubree, taking deep breaths.

“I couldn’t sleep.” She finally said.

Aubree raised an eyebrow.