5th Kick

I was woken up by a pitter-patter sound that droplets of rain made upon collision with the roof.

Fan-fucking-tastic. I hate rain.

There was something about it that I hated. Everything I look at felt gloomy. I feel cold, scared… alone. I still managed to get out of bed even though the thought of skipping school today was rather tempting more than the usual.

I practically dragged myself across the room, eyes still half closed from having just woken up. I walked in my closet and started to grab clothes out of it.

“Hmmm.” I hummed as I was analyzing the shirt that I was holding up. It was really cold now because of the rain and I really wished that I still had my sweatshirts with me—but sadly, no. Jes had thrown them out the day after we went shopping for new clothes. Where she threw them was beyond me. I huffed throwing the shirt on my bed and then pulling out a pair of jeans that I refused to look at. I was 10000000% sure that it was skinny—all of my pants now are skinny. I’m not sure why people even wear them, I mean yeah it does look good—but it isn’t comfortable at all. Want proof?

Talk to my weenie.

Every day was torture wearing them. And aside from the fact that my weenie was starting to get deformed, the fact that some of the boys stare at my butt like some sort of subway sandwich had me feeling rather uneasy. Some guys I knew were gay—and some… well, I was just shocked that they were checking me out.

I took a bath and quickly slid the shirt and pants on my body. I felt like a lamppost and I was really feeling stiff – no not that stiff. The smell of breakfast fanned my face as I trekked down the stairs. I saw mom and dad having a serious conversation, not noticing me. When they finally did, they suddenly halted their conversation looking jerky. They avoided eye-contact with me, which finally led me to my conclusion.

They were talking about me.

If they would just tell me what was bothering them, then we wouldn’t be here at the dining table eating awkwardly. The great breakfast, which was supposedly mouth-watering turned stale. I felt like vomiting after the first bite of my sandwich. The rain plus the irritating attitude of my parents knocked the appetite out of me.

“I’m going.” I said coldly. “Bye.”

I stood dragging the chair back. They were silent for a moment and the room was filled with nothing but the screeching sound of the wooden chair being dragged back across the floor.

“It’s raining. Shall I take you to school?” Breaking the silence, she said. Her offer was tempting with the rain and all, but I don’t want to be stuck in a five-minute awkward car drive with her.

“I’m okay. The school’s just pretty close.” I said as I waved off her offer. “I’ll manage.” I drew my final blow out with a smile.

No response.

Dad didn’t bother asking me, maybe having realized that it was a waste of his saliva and that the answer was as clear as the summer skies. I walked outside as I grabbed the umbrella that was sitting by the corner. I turned once again as I faced them, now standing at my back, my dad’s arm wrapped across mom’s shoulder. They were both sporting hurt in their eyes. I smiled and turned my back once again as I coursed out of our property, opening the umbrella.

The rain wasn’t that strong. Thank God. I was now walking out of our neighborhood. I stared at our school, which wasn’t that far from here. It’s on a hill, so I could see it quite well from where I was. Two minutes of walking and I was standing at the foot of the hill. I heaved an exasperated sigh, I was really feeling sluggish, and so I was not up to climbing the hill. I let out another sigh and as I was about to take my first step up the hill, something honked behind me causing me to jump in surprise. I looked around making sure that I had the most annoyed expression that I could form on my face. I saw a white Ford pick-up, which I couldn’t name behind me. I don’t know what it was because I’m not really a big fan of cars, which explains why I don’t have a car. It was something that I didn’t need, something not worth wasting my parents’ money on (even though they were the ones forcing me that I should have one). The windows were tinted and so all I could make out was the driver’s silhouette. I glared at whoever the bastard was.