Chapter Six

9:13 AM

November 1, 2012

Blue Curtis

            “Who the hell are you?” I snapped at the girl trailing behind me. She flinched, lowering the clipboard and almost dropping the coffee in her hand.

            “I-I-I’m your new assistant,” she blurted, her wide eyes filled with fear. She was a little thing, even shorter than me, and that was kind of empowering. “My name’s Kate,” she announced, thrusting the coffee towards me. “Two sugars and cream with an extra shot of caramel,” she said, “Largest cup I could find, and the guy who made it didn’t touch anything except for the cup.”

            “I like you,” I thought out loud, grabbing the coffee and taking a sip. Kate smiled, but she quickly shook it off, looking down at the papers attached to her clipboard.

            “You’re needed on the set of the shoot,” she informed, and I groaned, eyes flicking up to clock. “It started thirteen minutes ago.”

            The shoot she was referring to was the one I’d much to quickly agreed to become apart of. One Direction’s head of management, who’s name is actually Karen, called me to inform me that the only time they could book our photo shoot was on incredibly short notice. As the person in charge their sponsorship with Curtis Corp., I was told I was needed at the promotional shoot.

            “Well I’m not far away, I’m on my way there aren’t I?” I asked her, and she nodded. I took another drink of my coffee and continued toward the room where the shoot was being taken.

            “I’m so incredibly thankful for you hiring me. I’ll be the best assistant you’ve ever had,” she promised, her doe eyes gleaming. And the first I thought to myself, slipping in the elevator.

            “Just don’t wear heels higher than what you’re already wearing,” I told her, realizing that wasn’t that much shorter than me, and with a good pair of heels she would easily top my pipsqueak height. Confusion ran across her eyes, but she shook it off, nodding eagerly.

            “Whatever you say.”

            I gave a small smile, and stepped out of the elevator, making my way to the room where the photo shoot was taking place. “What is this?” I shrieked, taking in the setting.

            “Um, the photo shoot for the sports drink,” my assistant, replied, suddenly sounding small.

            “I know that, I meant what is up with this shoot,” I asked, but to no one in particular. It was all, wrong and even though I wasn’t an advertising executive I knew for a fact the boys from one direction being paired up with girls was the wrong way to go. “It’s shite, that what.” Kate gulped, and surveyed the area.

            “Maybe if you talk to the photographer-” That’s all I needed. I was soon catapulted across the room, much to the dismay of the staff.

            “Excuse me,” I said tightly, watching as the photographer, not much older than me, directed the shoot.

            “No I would not like a co-“ he started, but when he saw me he froze. “Miss Curtis, um, something wrong.” Oh did my pissed off face not give it away.

            “Firstly, it’s Blue. Secondly, I didn’t think we were shooting for a dating site,” I snapped, looking over to the set. It consisted of the five boys, four I had met and the one who skipped the meeting for a date, and five girls. All of this set in a park. All of the crew’s eyes were on me, so I decided to raise my voice.

            “It’s not, we’re shooting for Zap Sport’s Drinks” he said, his voice firm.

            “Well, that’s how it looks. And unless we’re going for the get energized for sex with girl’s you met at a park angle, I think you need to ditch the girls.” I hear a laugh from the set, and I glared at the owner of the laugh, Harry. Not everyone was laughing though. The model’s looked incredibly angry.

            “You know Bernard, she does have a point,” Harry pointed out, leaning away from the blonde sitting at his side. I muttered an hmph and gave the photographer a grin.

            I cut my eyes over to female faces filled with anger and worry. “Sorry, but you’ll have to

leave. We have your names on file though, so I promise we’ll contact you if needed.”

            Four of the girl’s begrudgingly moved away from the set, but one of them frowned, pouting in Niall’s way. He furrowed his brows and cut his eyes away, obviously not interested.

            “You can’t fire my models.”

            “But I can fire you, and by the looks of your age you need this job,” I said. I might have not wanted to be in charge of the 1D campaign, but I was, and I wasn’t in the mood to screw to up.

            “You don’t know how I am-“

            “22?” I guessed, greeted by Silence. “And if you’re wondering, yes I’d to have a drink with you,” I slipped into the conversation, “but first I need you to rethink the shoot.”

            “Fine,” he replied, but I saw a smile his lips. Even the possibility with sleeping with me was enough to get the guy to budge. Figures. “Take five guys,” he announced to the members of One Direction, quickly bringing his sights back to me. “I’ll go talk to my team.”

            “Great.”

            “I didn’t hear a thank you,” a voice said behind me. I spun around to find Harry standing there, brow raised.

            “Thanks,” I told him, giving a sarcastic smile.

            “It’s cute you were jealous enough to kick out all the models,” he commented, and I depressed a laugh.

            “It’s cute you think I like you.”

            “You tried to make me jealous by asking out that guy,” he pointed out. “Obviously you were trying to make someone jealous,” he emphasized. I grinned slyly.

            “Who said that someone was you?” I asked him, playing along with his banter.

            “Everyone is taken, or on the way to be.” 

            “Maybe I have a thing for unavailable guys.”

            “Then I’ll have to make myself unavailable,” he reasoned, shooting me a smile. I paused before replying.

            “Wait I thought I was the one making you jealous,” I reminded, and his smile grew.

            “Well obviously it worked.” I smiled, having to give him props. He was fun to talk to. “How about I give you an excuse to ditch the photographer,” he said, “and have you go out to get a drink with me instead.”

            “Oh I but he’s cute,” I replied, but my smile was probably what gave it away.