Chapter 6- Arrival

It is pitch black outside by the time I reach the building inside Woodbury, and let me tell you, it was NOT easy. The building was so damn tall that I actually had to try and climb the building itself, and not jump on it from a tree. This is a brick building… it had a few windows that I was able to step on, but I had to concentrate on not sweating in order to climb. But, after a great amount of perseverance, I made it to the top. I wish I had water. If I’m lucky it’ll rain.

                I crawl over to the edge, trying my best not to get seen. It may be dark out, but there were a few lights, and having blonde hair doesn’t help me at all. If I could I’d die it dark brown, or black.

                To my disappointment, I don’t see Phillip, or Milton, or even the tan or African guy. It’s only nine or ten, and everybody is inside. They must have curfew. If I hadn’t suspected anything about this place, I might have walked up and asked them to take me in, but I could sense the evil reminiscing. I didn’t like it.

                I lean over the edge a bit more, hoping to find something helpful, and that is when I hear a couple hushed voices. I peer over just enough to see Phillip and Milton. I can barely hear them. I can only catch a few words not and again.

                “Listen…. Not… good idea.” I picked up a little of what Milton was saying.

                “Milton… Shot at our camp… killed Penny.”

                “… Already Dead.”

                I don’t have to look at Phillips face to know that he is raging right now. I could just feel it.

                “Milton. You have… me. I…  teach…prison... We’re heading... first thing tomorrow.”

                I try to scoot farther to the edge, but my knee carries across some gravel, and they both look around. I duck back away, hoping they didn’t see me. I peer back over slowly, and I know they didn’t see me, but they are talking quieter now. So quiet that I can’t pick up any more words.

                To my disappointment, they retreat inside the door of the building I’m on top of. I debate on whether or not to crawl down quickly and follow them, or use one of the windows to get in, but it’s too risky. Sure, I could take down a few men, but I knew this place had at least twenty people who knew how to work a gun. I’m not going to risk it.

                For a while I wonder what to do. I knew I had to stay and try to figure this out. Other than the fact that I felt obligated to be here, I had a burning curiosity to figure out what all those walkers they had gathered up were for. All I knew for sure is that I had a bad feeling about it.

                From what I got out of their conversation earlier today and just now, they had some sort of beef with the people at a prison… Surely it couldn’t be that over run one? There’s just no way, but it’s the only prison anywhere remotely near here.

                This instinct inside me draws me near the prison, but I can’t go. Not now. I have had no observations of them, and it sounded like they’ve killed people there too. Maybe I’m wrong, because Milton seemed dead set on trying to divert Phillip’s attention away from them, but they were still off my radar for now.

                I lay down on my back and look up at the sky. Now that it was dark, and this is probably the only time I’ll be able to rest, I close my eyes, even though I know nightmares will plague me.