Chapter 13- The Game

The townspeople crowd around me, venturing in the same direction I am heading. The night has fallen for about an hour now, and I still feel uncomfortable because I am without my knives. People all around me fluently chatter with excitement, and it only makes me more nervous. I had no clue what this "game" was going to be about, and a deep gut instinct tells me that I'm not going to like it.

I round the bend of one of the street corners to see where many of the townspeople are gathered up high on what looks to be bleachers. Too many people are crowding my vision to glimpse a clear view of the centerpiece everybody is focusing on.

I spot the Governor sitting high up on the bleachers in the middle beside the blonde girl that I'm not fond of because of her stupid sway walk and duck face. I saw her around town twice today and I immediately wanted to slap her across the face, which is unusual and unlike me. Her name is Andrea, as I've heard, but I call her 'Blondie.'

I observe from a cocked head as Phillip glances down at me; he sends a wry smile. I nod my head at him in response. Feeling obsolete and awkward, I don't sit up on the bleachers, but rather push my way through the crowd to see the center. Most of the people are seated now.

My eyes widen in slight shock at what I see before me. In the middle, there are about six walkers contained by chains around their necks tied up to posts for restraint. I scan the setup and spot men controlling the 'game', and realize that this must be some sort of sick fight.

"WHO IS READY?!" a familiar Spanish man screams with his arms held out to the crowd as if he is waiting for a giant embrace from God. Everybody screams in excitement.

I feel as if I want to vomit. What is going on? There are little children droning into this...

"LET'S RAISE SOME APPLAUSE FOR CARTJULIO!" the Spanish man screams, and that is when I see a boy in his possible mid-twenties emerge from the crowd with excitement spread world-wide upon his face.

Another name is called and in turn another man emerges from the crowd. I already know what's going to happen before they move into the ring with the walkers. The battle starts at the signal noise and the men start hand to hand combat. Cartjulio is thrown to the side where a walker reaches out and nearly grabs him. I flinch at the amount of close calls after that. As if they don't have enough room already, somebody loosens the reins on the walkers and the area for combat turns very, very small.

My heart skips a beat when the other man falls to the feet of a walker and is almost snapped at, but somebody pulls the chain of the walker back before it can happen.

So, they're controlling the walkers, but, to what extent can they do so before somebody gets hurt? They just want to use the walkers to help people run down their fears of them. The Governor wants them to think that they're not that big of a deal, I think to myself. What these people don't know, is that they should be afraid of the walkers. I even admit that I am afraid, but it's my fear that helps me summon the strength to endure them.

The match is over in about seven minutes when Cartjulio surrenders. They both look pretty banged up, but Cartjulio is practically throwing up blood. There are cheers from all around me including people of all ages; everywhere I look I see children and adults with a cold happiness.

"Alright. Now," the Spanish man yells, "how about some volunteers!?"

Nobody offers to fight at first, and there are a few murmurs. I crane my neck to the side to sneak a glimpse of the Governor, and I find him staring right at me. I try not to break the stare out of nervousness, but instead give him the tiniest nod. I know why he's staring at me. This is my chance to prove something of myself; not just to him, but to all of Woodbury.