Chapter 12- Practice

SOOOO yeah. Sorry I haven't updated in a while. I sincerely do plan on finishing this, and eventually make a sequel fanfiction to season four. Sorry this chapter isn't exciting, but the next few chapters shall be more action-filled. Enjoy and let me know with feedback what ya think :D

The next day I find myself wearing a navy blue and white striped dress, and brown designer combats brought to me free by a middle aged woman with black hair. I had smiled at her and gave her my thanks. She had not a clue as to what was really burning deep beneath this town, and neither did most of the other people. Part of me wonders how the Governor keeps such large lies hidden without being questioned. Maybe he has everybody tied up in some sort of noose that keeps them from questioning his orders and ways.

                Sometimes I flash people bright smiles, but most of the time I try to remain a mystery to these people. If the governor thought I was too content and giddy he’d never let me get my hands dirty. I had to prove that there was a deep rage inside me, other than killing the walkers he witnessed me mercilessly kill.

                “Houdy neighbor!” a tall blonde says as she passes me.

                I smirk at her, “Hello.”

                She turns around to approach me, “So I hear that you’re the latest addition to Woodbury!”

                I nod my head, “Yes. My name is Kendra.”

                She flashes me a bright toothy smile. She looked to be a very mature preppy seventeen year old, like the ones I saw at school when the world was living.

                “I’m Marsha. You’ll like it here. Honestly, without this town, I wouldn’t be alive.” She grins.

                I nod my head, “Yeah. It’s nice to finally settle down.”

                “Well… See you at the game tonight.”

                Ah, that’s right. The governor had said something about a game.

                “What goes on at this game?” I ask.

                “Oh. You’ll see.” She smiles suspiciously,”

                The suspense was starting to kill me. I wanted to know what the Hell this damn game was about because nobody wanted to elaborate. Thinking about it actually makes my anxiety spike up, so I try to calm myself, but I find it hard and I also seem to becoming more and more resilient. Whenever I’m stressed or need to alleviate my anxiety I usually throw my knives, but today, I don’t have them. I feel like I’m suffering from withdrawal, because in all honestly, my knives were my depression pills.

                The more and more I see of Woodbury, the more nervous I become. Everybody here was a stranger, and the fact that this place bubbled with lies, but yet looked so innocent, worried me deeply. This is merely Hell itself in disguise, and though it may be surprising, I would rather be outside with the walkers than in this town any day.

                “Kendra!”

                I whip around and flash a side smirk at the Governor who is jogging up to me. I feel my hopes brighten up.

                “Yes?” I respond innocently.

                “I want to show you something.”

                I follow the Governor down the road, and when I see him lead me to one of the old end buildings, my suspicion starts to accumulate. What did he want with me here? Standing bolder, I follow him inside, only to exit another door. When he starts to lead far out I see wooden target boards in the shape of human silhouettes. I glance at him in confusion when he turns to face me.

                “Some of my men designed this for you. I want to see how good you really are. I may have made a keen observation, but now I want to evaluate you a little bit more.”

                I furrow my eyebrows, “What are you evaluating me on, sir?”

                He grins, “Just do as I say.”

                I nod my head. He pulls out my two remaining knives and hands them to me, “This is for practice. I am going to tell you where to throw, and what to do.”

                “Okay.” I simply state.

                “Middle target; stomach.”

                I aim instantaneously and make my throw.

                “Left Target; forehead.”

                I do so again, and nail the board directly where he tells me to. I retrieve my knives and he tells me different commands several more times. At first I assume that he just wants to make sure I can aim, but now that I ponder it more, I realize that with all the places he was telling me to aim, he wasn’t evaluating me on whether or not I could make a good head shot; but if I could torture somebody.

                The thought sends shiver up my spine, because I know this is true.

                What would happen if the time came where the Governor would want me to “prove” myself?

                I glance at the Governor wearily, keeping my face blank. In return he smiles at me, but I see that Grim Reaper in his eyes. Something about this man really was evil.

                And I’m afraid it will haunt me if I make the slightest mistake.