1 | ONE

CHAPTER ONE❝ disrupting the peace ❞| THE NIGHT BEFORE |

CHAPTER ONE
❝ disrupting the peace ❞
| THE NIGHT BEFORE |

​"Are you kidding me?" Aurora grumbled. "What the freak, Blade?"

​The Wolfe twins were lying across the teenage boy's bed, both on their stomachs, head and arms dangling off the foot of the mattress. Their eyes were glazed over with a clear haze from staring at the television for so long; black game controllers securely in their hands. Then, with sudden gesture, she lifted her head and threw the controller and the floor, where it bounced up harmlessly and landed a few feet in front of the entertainment center, which stored Blade's gaming systems and along with the games.

​She let out an exasperated cry, rolling onto her back. "I hate you, I hope you know that. How did you beat me? Are you even allowed to have snipers in a shooting game?"

​Blade chuckled victoriously in Aurora's face, basking in the glory of actually beating the brainiac at something other than sports. "Yes, Rose, you are allowed to have snipers – who, shoot guns by the way – in a shooting game."

​Aurora rolled her eyes, knowing that he was completely right. They had been playing the same video game for the past five hours – well, if they excluded the time it had taken for Aurora to learn the shooting in the freshly released game, or how long it took for the twins to stop arguing over who was Player 1 or Player 2. It had been the last night of summer before the beginning of sophomore year and they were both trying to prolong the inevitable for as long as they could.

​After a few seconds of lying there in silence, she reluctantly sat up before heading over to pick up the controller and choose a new video game for them to play, knowing that neither of them had planned on going to sleep anytime soon.

Tap.

​The Wolfe twins looked up, their chests stilled as oxygen got caught in their throats.

Plunk.

​Aurora and Blade glanced at one another, their flash of fear quickly boiling into curiosity at the revelation. It sounded like it had been coming from downstairs. Their father wasn't going to be home until really late after being called back into the hospital for an emergency heart surgery, and their mother was sound asleep down the hall.

Tap.

Plunk.

Crash.

​Blade shot up from the bed, his heart suddenly pumping adrenaline into his bloodstream as his body instinctively became alert; Aurora's blood running cold as the sound of muffled voices filtered up through the floor. And as if their minds had been connected, they looked toward one another with the same thought on their mind: the spare key hidden beneath the loose brick in the pathway.