Mandy Busyman

Jenna

If you took all the lipgloss tubes Mandy Busyman uses per year and gathered them in your house, you'd be a lipgloss hoarder. I mean hardcore lipgloss hoarder. I mean, "friend calls Hoarders show because her unstable friend gathers lipgloss for a living" kind of hoarder. If you counted how many guys Mandy has impressed by walking by them, you'd run out of numbers to count in your head. Your brain would explode. If you can count to a trillion, you'll still have to go farther.

Mandy is perfect in every single way. The looks, the grades, the friendships, the status, the guys, the family, I could go on and on. Do you know those unreachable model standards? It's not unreachable anymore with Mandy Busyman. She's a walking guy magnet. So much anger has swelled up with her friends and onlookers that are girls, she doesn't even have to say a word for them to hate her. You can look at her shape and you'll assume she's a horrible person that wears high heels to walk her dog and is only good for her face. Which is true if you live next to her. Which is why I've found it hard to be a neighbor to Mandy. Let alone a girl. Pfft, no competition there. One look at Mandy and the guy is sold. They don't even give me a second look. Maybe I'll get a first look if I'm lucky. But that doesn't happen with Mandy. It never will.

*_*

It was a hot sticky summer day, Mandy's pool booming with excitement. The speakers were playing a loud dubstep beat which poured onto the backyard below. The over-chlorinated pool smell wafted into my nose. The sun was still glowing it's annoying blazing heat onto my uncovered stomach. I felt like I was burning. I searched for my sunglasses on the side table next to me. I kept my eyes closed. I didn't want to go blind trying to look. My hand struggled to find my glasses, making me look like a moron to any good eye. The music started to bother me, it's continuing beat making everyone fired up.

"Hey, want a drink?" A boy asked me as he came over to me.

He shook his hair like a wet dog over me and little sensations of water came onto my stomach. I looked up, my neck tender from sitting at an awkward angle on the lounge chair.

"No thanks," I smiled a phony smile and hoped he would go back to Mandy.

"Alright," he said in a beach-y, surfer boy accent.

I smiled another fake smile and laid back down again, my neck resuming its awkward position yet again.

He sauntered off, his swim shorts drenched. I looked at him leave towards the pool. He did a cannonball into it and went back up, screaming with the water still in his eyes. I sighed and again examined for my sunglasses. My face was starting to smolder from the heat hitting my face while I sat facing the sun. After what seemed like endlessly searching for my sunglasses, I managed to pick them up. I sat up and put them over my eyes, pretending as if I were a model. I stayed there and let the sun hit me again, letting the roaring sounds of the party lull me into sleep. I stayed relaxed until I heard feet slapping against the pavement. I struggled to open my eyes. I guess I was tired. I looked anyway and took off my sunglasses slowly. It was Mandy, the girl who had invited me in the first place. I looked at her, my mouth open. Of course she looked stunning in her blue bikini.

"Hi Jenna," she smiled gently.

I shut my mouth and started to form a sentence," Uh, um, hehe, thanks for inviting me!"

"Totally. Any time," she smiled again, a little more awkwardly this time, but she still managed to look cute. I wanted to roll my eyes.

"It's really fun!" I yelled over the music, which was increasingly getting louder.

"Thanks!" She laughed.

I weakly smiled as she headed back to the pool. She gave me one last quick smile before she graciously climbed into the pool. I saw a guy swim fastly towards her and push her down into the water playfully, her blonde hair floating on the top as the guy smiled. His dark brown hair was curled and wet, making it more curly. Mandy went up out of the water and spit out what looked like a gallon of water. She was rubbing her eyes in desperation. Her blonde hair was now matted by her shoulders, which were freaking out trying to rub her eyes. Wait, was she okay?