Ch.6: Remind Me

Arabella's POV:

I've been sitting here by myself for nearly ten whole minutes--it feels like hours when there is no one to talk to--and I think I'm going to go insane if they don't call me soon. 

Sophia walks in at the thought and beckons me over. I walk across the room and she leads me across the hall to the Great Room. I try to hide my shaking hands.

"You've got this," she whispers as she gently pushes me into the room. I have a feeling she told that to everyone. I walk over to the seating area across the room, Prince Carlisle's eyes following me. He has a playful smile on his face.
He stands and goes to read my name pin as I approach. 

"Arabella, is it?" He said, a smile still playing on his lips.

"Yes, it is. And I know I've heard your name before, but could you remind me?" I say. We both laugh a little and sit down, but I realize I forgot to curtsy and go to stand again.

'There's no need for the 'your highness' and curtsying when no one else is around.' His voice from last night fills my head. 

I curtsy anyway, and sit back down.

"So, Arabella. Tell me about yourself."

"Well, I grew up in a small town in Louisiana. I love to cook, I'm really into music, and I like working out sometimes. It relaxes me." I say, trying to sum it all up. I feel my nerves slowly fading in his presence.

"I can't cook a single thing. Maybe you could cook for me sometime." He chuckles a little before continuing, "and I love music and working out too. What instruments do you play?"

"I will definitely have to cook for you! And I play the piano, guitar, flute, violin, clarinet, and drums." His jaw is hanging open, and an involuntary giggle escapes my lips. I reach over and gently push his chin up to close his mouth. As I go to pull my hand away, he grabs it, bringing it to his lips. "Oh, and I sing, too." I add.

"You seem absolutely incredible, Arabella. I am amazed. I'd love to talk more, really. But I'm hungry! Walk with me to breakfast, dear?" He stands, offering me his arm.

"How could I turn down the prince?" I say sarcastically. It earns me a laugh from both him and Officer Aaron, who was standing nearby. I give him a small wave as we pass.

As we walk into the Dining Room, all eyes are on us. I catch Elizabeth wink at me and have to stifle a laugh.

"What's so funny, dear?" Prince Carlisle whispers in my ear. I just shake my head, looking to the floor, becoming slightly nervous again. He walks me to the seat Amie and the others saved for me. I curtsy, thank him and then sit down.

When I look up all eyes are still on me, including Queen Hazel's. When she sees I've noticed, she smiles even more and goes back to eating. Our queen truly is beautiful. She is exactly what a queen should be, beautiful, elegant, poised, and so smart.

I am thankful we aren't having some huge, fancy breakfast. It's just eggs, bacon, and toast. I eat two pieces of bacon, savoring the flavor. I eat all of my eggs. I only have one piece of toast, but I slather the butter on, as that is my favorite part.

"Excuse me." I say, standing to leave. I walk into the hall and realize I have no idea where the Women's Room is from here. Several girls have already gone there, though.

Just as I am about to stop a maid to ask, the queen walks out of the Dining Room. I feel like my heart drops and I swear I am covered in sweat instantly. 

"Your Majesty," I say, curtsying.

"Lost?" She asks, an amused look on her face.

"A little." We both giggle before she responds, "Just walk with me, dear." I follow her eagerly, trying not to be too nervous. The queen has always been my favorite royal.