#9: Attend A College Camp

Austin had returned from Phoenix, and his next event was the Summer Showcase at the University of Utah. Utah would hold this and a few other events during the year, including a Christmas Camp and a multi-day scout camp. In addition to these camps, Austin would also be attending the College of Southern Idaho Christmas Camp on December 27th in Twin Falls, Idaho.

The players showed up for the showcase, and they began their warmups. After warmups they scrimmaged, but in reality, it became quickly obvious they were really only looking at just one baseball player.

The event ended when the evaluation of this particular player ended.

Austin was so upset - as were most of the other players and parents.

We came home, and Austin continued to work on his game through the summer and into the fall. He continued to get some promising letters, and to his credit, he continued to write his letters and keep all of the coaches in his database up to date. He took his ACTs that fall, and did well. In November, he received correspondence from the University of Utah, inviting him to their Holiday Camp.

With a pretty large chip on his shoulder from the earlier Utah showcase, he wrote the coach back a letter letting him know that he would not be coming as he had already registered to attend the College of Southern Idaho Christmas Camp. He also let the coach know how disappointed he was that the Program spent so much time recruiting players out of state – when so many quality players were available in-state. 3 years later, after his successful sophomore season at the College of Southern Idaho, Utah came knocking – with the very same letter in the hand of the recruiting coach. Austin remained firm in his feeling, and now, he had other options to consider besides Utah, but still wanted to play for the Utes in their inaugural Pac-12 season.

Like Barry before him, Austin learned that you should only invest in the college camp programs you are specifically targeting. If a school is definitely recruiting you, and you are interested in the program, you're always obligated to go – you have to go. But if its' a fringe program, and you don't see it happening, there's nothing wrong with letting the opportunity pass. At the end of the day, it always boils down to understanding if the camp advances your recruitment, and does the cost of the camp justify attendance?