Gone

Flashback: It's early August 2009, and we're helping Austin prepare for his move to Twin Falls to begin his freshman season at the College of Southern Idaho. Twin Falls is just 3-1/2-hours from Park City, so he's still close enough to come home when he can, and the drive is easy enough that we can see him during home games, and when the team plays at Salt Lake Community College, Utah State University in Price, Utah, or Colorado Northwestern in Rangeley, Colorado.

Austin and Kent have already said their goodbyes, and that's been difficult for both. Their relationship today is more than a mentor and student, and now more of two friends with a deep understanding and respect for each other.

Kent tells Austin he is going to be watching his games as much as he can, and reminds Austin to work hard, and to always control that which you can control. Austin nods and gives his friend a warm embrace and says goodbye.

Austin takes the tin box out of the pocket of his jacket and places it in Kent's hands.

"I guess I won't need this any longer," the boy says to his friend.

Kent nodded, "I hope you remember all this box has taught you Austin. You were a great student and you did everything I asked and because of it, you were successful! You really knocked it out of the park."

The two friends parted.

A few hours later, we arrive in Twin Falls and begin getting Austin settled into his dorm room. You can tell we've already over-stayed our welcome, as Austin is eager to get on with the next stage of his life, and get to know his new friends.

We're being dismissed, and that's ok.

We attend the mandatory team meeting and after that, it's time for us to return home.

The goodbye is a tearful one and the realization that Austin's not coming home with us sinks in. All of us are happy and sad, but never as sad as the moment we pull into our driveway to see Ranger sitting at our doorstep, alone.

We got out of the car and went to the door to make sure Ranger was ok.

Where was Kent? His van was not in the driveway, so it immediately struck me as odd for him to not be with Ranger. I told Missy I would check around the back of the house and be right back.

Missy took the leash off Ranger and gently held him in her arms. At his feet was an envelope, addressed to Missy and me.

Kent was nowhere to be seen so I walked around the rest of the house and as I came around the corner I saw the look of panic in Missy's eyes and stopped.

She was holding the envelope and had just finished reading the papers that were inside it.

I walked slowly to her and she handed the papers to me, and I began to read:

"Dear Lee and Missy,

By now you are just beginning to become aware that something is amiss and it's causing you great confusion and concern.

Please do not be concerned by my sudden departure, or the words in my letter. Just know always that my love for both of you, and your sons is great, and I am eternally grateful for our short time together.

The last 7 years have been a blessing for me, and I have probably received more from your family than I was able to give back. I have loved your boys like a grandfather loves his grandchildren, and the time you've allowed me to dote over each, has filled my heart with joy.

As difficult as I know you will find it to be, my work here is done, and it is time to assist others where I am needed most.

I am sure you will try to find me, but where I am going you cannot.