Chapter 21: Taurtis: Escape

~A/N: okay. Slightly depressing chapter. Also, roll with me on this one. These people survive electric chairs.~

 I felt the first shock. I jerked and screamed. This was an electric chair I was sitting in. The jolts came in bursts, each one getting longer. Then, it all came at once. I screamed loudly. All others noises were blocked out. My vision went blurry, and I blacked out.

~

I woke up in a different room. It was dark. This time I was free to move around. My eyes adjusted to the darkness, and I realized I was in a type of cell. I walked up to the bars. There were steps that led to a hallway. I could only see that there were red lights down the hallway.

Suddenly, I heard footsteps. Karu appeared in front of me. He walked down the steps. I gripped the bars in anger.

"Good to see you're awake," he said calmly. "Have you changed your mind?"

I didn't answer.

"I'll take that as a no, then." He walked back up the stairs. "I'll come back tomorrow." He walked away.

I spent the next hour (or what felt like an hour) trying to escape. There were no vents. I used everything in the cell to try and open the door, pick the lock, or somehow squeeze through the bars. It only resulted in me ripping my tie, almost breaking my headphones, and getting cuts and bruises all over my hands. I sat back on the ground, leaning against the wall.

Sam would know what to do, I thought. Chrissy too. Maybe even Grian. Who knows? Maybe I'll never see them again. I'll probably die in here. No Taurtis, don't think like that. But it's no use. I probably will.

Then I did the thing that I hadn't done since I was little: cried. Like, seriously cried. I broke down, replicating Grian in the camera, but so much more worse. I cried until I could cry no more. Then I curled up into a ball. Things could not get worse.

I heard running. I looked up. Grian ran to the bars. I got up and rushed over to him.

"Grian?" I asked. "How'd you escape?"

"Foreign things," he said, panting. "They didn't recognize them."

"Can you get me out?"

"Yeah." He pulled a key ring out of his pocket. "That man was so stupid."

"Hurry!"

Grian tried the keys. The first five didn't work, but the sixth one did. He pulled open the gate. After I got out, we shut it and ran down the hallway.

"Wait," I said as we reached a door. It was marked, "No. 8." "I think this is the room Sam's in."

Grian got that door open too. Inside, sure enough, was the dentist chair and Sam. He was unconscious. I ran over to him and shook his shoulders.

"Sam!" I said. "Sam, wake up! Please don't be dead. Please..."

Sam slowly opened his eyes. "Taurtis," he said weakly.

"No time!" I said. "We have to get out of here." We undid the straps on his wrists and ankles. Then pulled him off the chair and ran out the room.

We stopped at the room marked, "No. 10." Grian had some trouble getting into that room, because it needed three keys to unlock the door. Once he did, Sam ran inside the room, pushing us out of the way. We followed him. Sam rushed over to Chrissy, who was laying unconscious on the ground. She picked her in his arms.

"I'll carry her," he said firmly.

"Sam, you're weak, let us-" Grian started.

"I can manage."

Grian looked at me. I shrugged.

We ran out of the room and down the hallway. Door after door, we ran. Then the hallway stopped.

"It's a dead end!" I said, starting to panic.

"Wait," Grian said, grabbing my shoulder. "There." He pointed at what looked like a vent on the floor.

"How're we supposed to get Chrissy through?"

"I'll go first. Taurtis, you'll be behind. Sam will be behind you. Sam, I know you can manage Chrissy. This vent is huge. We can make it through." I nodded. Sam did too.

Grian crawled into the vent. I went in next. I could hear Sam behind me. We crawled through the vent.

"Wow," Grian said. "Luck is with us."

"What is it?" I asked.

"It leads straight outside."

"Wow."

Grian got out of the vent. Turns out, it was two feet above the ground. I hopped down. It was night outside.

"Sam, careful," I said. "It's two feet above the ground.

"Okay." Sam passed Chrissy to us and he hopped down. Then he took her back.

"Let's go," Grian said. "Before they realize we're gone."

We ran.