Cliff Love

hi yes if you don't read the author's note at the end I'll cry thank you

The road spiraled, coming to an end. Jc turned off the car. He left the headlights on, the keys still hanging from the ignition. He turned his head, smiled, jerked his chin to gesture me out. I smile back, unbuckling. We open the car doors almost simultaneously, and their shutting creates a beat, immediately fading into the night sounds. Once I'm up, I shove my phone into my pocket, taking in my surroundings.

The car was parked on a cliff. There were short concrete walls, but weeds sprung up from the base. The area was worn down, but more than anything with love.

There was the perfect view of an isolated part of the beach, the waves crashing against the rocks below us. I could feel the salt in the air.

The whole thing took my breath away.

"You like it?" Jc walks around the car to me. I gaze around in awe.

"I love it." I turn my head to face him, my shoulder brushing up against his chest. I'm stunned for a second at our close proximity.

"I wanted to talk to you."

My breath catches in my throat. My stomach drops, and I immediately assume the worst. Is he going to tell me that I shouldn't have told Tiffany? That he and I shouldn't be so close? That I never should have come to California?

That he never should have started talking with me?

My eyes well up with tears at the thought, the sentimental person I am, and Jc's eyes widen.

"No, no, no! Nothing bad, I swear. Fuck, I didn't mean to make you upset."

I laugh, wiping my eyes.

"Sorry, I guess I just assumed the worst." He smiles sympathetically before taking my hand and leading me over to the wall. He sits down on the edge, keeping his legs on the side where he couldn't fall to his immediate death. I eye the edge cautiously before taking a seat next to him. I turn my head to face him as he opens his mouth to speak.

"So, I don't really know how or where to start, so I guess I'll just go." He bites his lip. I force myself not to get distracted. I nod encouragingly.

"So, I've only known you for, what, a few weeks now, right? But it feels like so much longer. Like honestly, it feels like I could trust you with my life. I have no fucking idea why, but it does." He chuckles, while I try to hide my blushing.

"But, yeah, what I'm trying to say is that if I ever act really friendly or something towards you, that's why."

My heart drops a little in disappointment. I don't know why; what was I expecting?

"I just don't want you to be uncomfortable." He pauses, meeting my eyes. I notice his fingers resting lightly over mine. "Are you uncomfortable?" He looks nervous, his eyes searching mine for an answer.

I smile.

"No, of course not. I love being with you more than anything." And it was true. Jc has meant so much to me for the longest time, I can't think of anything better than being here with him.

He smiles. There's silence between us for a few moments, each just admiring our environment.

I catch Jc hesitate before speaking.