A Hero's Imperfections

Another burning hand made contact with Steve's face. The pain never got better. For what seemed like forever, he had been tortured.

"Well," said Regent Armstridge, "are you going to listen?" Steve hated that man. He hated his power, his cruelty, and every fiber in his body.

"Go shift yourself." he muttered.

Armstridge smiled a cold smile. "There are some things even I can't do, Steve," he said, feigning benevolence. He chuckled as Maximus punched Steve again. "Are you going to help us or not?"

"I would rather die," the broken warrior nearly whispered.

"You won't get that luxury," Armstridge growled. "We can keep you alive forever. You choose whether you enjoy that or not."

Maximus kicked him this time. Steve hated that blaze general as well. He hated General Maximus, he hated Administrator Vance, he hated Armstridge, he hated that grinning monster Teedo, he hated every single creature in this Notch-foresaken world.

"I sense your hatred," Armstridge said. "Join me. I can show you how to use it."

"I-" it was too much. Steve couldn't summon another retort. Not when he knew it would bring only more punishment. Something in him had broken, something not easily fixed. He could feel Armstridge's grin.

"I," he said at last, "will help you."

"Yes!" Armstridge shouted, triumphant. "You mean to join us?"

"I pledge my allegiance to you, and to the Nether, and to Herobrine," Steve declared. Armstridge couldn't contain his excitement.

"Good, good," he smiled. "We must act quickly. The zombie pigmen have been rebellious too long. We must crush them, and quickly. We will attack their villages, a of them. Those that can't be enslaved will be killed. You will lead that attack on the village of your acquaintance Po."

"Po and his people helped me though," Steve pointed out, uncertain.

"Po and his people betrayed you," Armstridge reminded him. Steve felt the anger rising inside him again. "They must be dealt with," the blaze leader continued. Steve nodded. He knew what must be done.

"But tonight," Armstridge announced, "we shall celebrate! Our Hero has come. Our new leader shall reestablish our great kingdom!" Steve nodded more enthusiastically. A celebration sounded good.

It seemed that within hours of Armstridge's decree, blaze leaders from all over the Nether had gathered in this fortress. A great feast had been prepared, and it felt as though Steve was enjoying himself for the first time in forever. He sat at the head of the table, with leaders like Armstridge, Vance, and Maximus seated around him. Selena was at his arm, looking as beautiful as ever. She seemed especially happy that Steve had decided to join them. Steve was just glad she was back at his side.

The feast itself was, naturally, otherworldly. Torches cast a red light in the black room. The lighting was dim, as each blaze cast a light of their own. Everyone wore outlandish outfits that somehow didn't catch fire from the flames their bodies generated. Zombie pigmen brought meals and saw to each guest under the command of their Wither Skeleton masters. More skeletons flanked the doors.

Steve had inquired into whether Teedo and the other important skeletons would be joining them, to which Armstridge informed him that "they have other ways of making merry, and feasting is not one of them."

Steve himself wore his favorite teal shirt, which had been mended by the finest tailors. He had been given a decent haircut, and after wondering why he drew so many stares from female guests, learned from Selena that he looked "quite dashing." She wore a striking red dress, and her dim halo of fire made her insanely attractive. Steve knew that tonight, he would be getting whatever he wanted.