A Hero's Feast

"To Steve!" shouted Jack triumphantly. He raised his glass, memories of his friend flashing through his mind. He caught Lucas's eye, the hunter looking deep in thought. Surely he was reflecting on Steve as well. The hero who had started a quest that became a mission that became a movement had to be on everyone's minds.

Steve had been with them through everything. Jack thought back to meeting him, the astonishing stranger who slipped into the village one seemingly uneventful day. So much had happened in the past three months. That one day felt like decades ago.

"He'd be mortified to know we toasted to him," Lucas whispered as everyone dissolved into conversation.

"I dunno," Jack laughed. "I think he'd be too busy just be scarfing down all this food."

"He continues to impress me as a hero," Alex remarked.

"Says the legendary mythical hero," fired back Jack.

"I can't seem to be able to do much lately," Alex admitted with frustration. "I messed up at the battle. Jon died for me. I can't let that happen again."

"It won't," Lucas said, taking her hand. "Know one thing: he'd be proud to have you in his band."

"Tis a pity I couldn't have met him," Alex sighed, a bit of her old accent slipping back in.

"Hey, don't give up hope yet!" Jack protested. "He's out there right now, traversing the multiverse. He could be back at any moment."

"Well," Jameson called the group back to order, "shall we eat?" He took a carving knife over the meat. Everyone shifted toward the food.

Suddenly, everyone jumped as there was a huge flash. A loud thunder clap accompanied this phenomenon.

"What the Nether was that?" cried Jack. He jumped up from his seat and ran to the window. Everyone followed to get a look at what had happened, except for, curiously, Theos. The old sorcerer remained in his seat as a thoughtful smile spread across his face. He had heard that same sound a long time ago, the sound of a portal between worlds being opened...

Jack looked out the window as others crowded around to see.

"What is it?" someone asked.

Jack looked closer, realization spreading across his own face.

"It's a portal," he proudly proclaimed.

~~~

Steve was home. Oh Notch, he was home. Once again, his breath was taken away. He stepped out of the portal, seeing his world, actually seeing the village that had been his home, for the first time in weeks. He saw the familiar buildings, though, strangely, there were no people.

"Steve!" cried an all too familiar voice. The warrior pivoted to see Jack running to him. The lumberjack enveloped him in a crushing bear hug. "It's good to see you, pal."

"Good to see you too, man," Steve wheezed. "Ugh. I'm not sure I missed you crushing my lungs, though."

"Sorry," Jack chuckled, releasing him. Lucas came up from behind, slapping palms with Steve.

"Great to see you Steve," the hunter smiled.

"And the same for you," replied Steve. He looked over their shoulders to see the huge crowd making their way toward him. He picked out his own warriors, Theos and Jameson, other village elders, and several unfamiliar faces as well. He started shaking hands, bracing himself as the bombardment of questions began.

"What happened?" "Where'd you go?" "Do you know what's happened while you've been gone?"

"Guys, guys," Steve laughed, waving his hand. "I'll try to explain everything in just a moment. It's just so amazing to see all of you. Honestly, none of you have any idea what a crazy thrilled ride I've been on, what, the past couple weeks?"