Chapter 8

CHAPTER 8

I felt tears coming, and I didn't try to stop them from coming out. Forrest went over to me. He hugged me and rubbed circles on my back. I cried harder, until I was full on sobbing.

To be entirely honest, I was scared. Really scared. I had absolutely no idea how Forrest and I were able to travel that far, in less than three hours! By airplane, that's possible. But on foot? Hello?

I have absolutely no idea where to go, or how to go home. For all I know, mum might be finding me already. Well definitely, she's finding me. She will get worried, and I don't want her getting worried.

"How... Will we... Get home?" I asked between sobs.

"Retrace our steps?" Forrest said.

"Good idea," I sniffled. I pulled away from him, and wiped the tears off my face. "Well we came from this way."

"Okay. Let me help you in retracing, since you are really shaken right now."

I nodded. We walked on, retracing our steps.

"You're part leprechaun, right?" Forrest asked as he held my hand. "Wish for something."

"Should I say it out loud?"

"It's up to you."

And so I said it out loud. "I wish we could retrace our steps and return home."

Nothing big happened. Only the wind stirred. I sighed as we continued walking.

"Can you make a fireball?" I asked Forrest as we passed a fork in the pathway again.

"I don't know how to make one," he replied sadly.

"Well, why not try focusing your energy to make one?"

We stopped. "I'll try. I hate walking in the dark."

I stood beside him as he closed his eyes. He put his hands close, like he was holding an invisible ball.

After a few moments, I saw a spark of orange in between his hands. I yelped in surprise as it grew bigger. It grew bigger until it fit snugly in his hands. Forrest opened his eyes again, and he was quite surprised to see a fireball in his hands. He didn't look as tired as Marco was when he made the seedling. Maybe it was easier to make a fireball?

"Yay! Now we have a light!" I exclaimed.

"Wow," he stared at the ball of fire that he just made.

"Is it hot?" I asked.

"No, it's just warm. But I don't think you should touch it."

"Okay," I shrugged.

After a few moments, the fireball spluttered and died.

"It died," I said sadly.

"Yeah, I can see that," Forrest said.

"Can you make another one?"

"It takes energy to do it," he frowned.

"Oh," I sighed, and we started to walk again. It wasn't entirely dark, because it was full moon.

We walked on, retracing our steps. We came to the place where we stopped earlier. The place where I threw my knife against a tree.

"Now what?" I asked.

"Retrace?" Forrest replied uncertainly.

"Everything before this was a blur," I recalled. "When we started chasing Pinecone, I didn't really take note of the surroundings."