Chapter 2

CHAPTER 2

I sat in science class listening to the teacher, Mrs. Edwards, talk about protons and neutrons and alphas and gamma rays and other things that made my head spin. I tried to take notes, but hey, it's hard to do that when the teacher is talking at the speed of an automatic machine gun. I was about to zone out when the classroom door suddenly opened.

Mrs. Edwards stopped talking and looked over at the person at the door, and so did all of the students.

He was wearing a black shirt, khaki pants and blue Vans; his black hair was partly covering his eyes. He seemed lost clutching his books to his chest.

Oh, wow. A new student who I may or may not have been beginning to like for the past 10 seconds.

He looks familiar. Wait, no. Oh, maybe I did see him. But it was like I saw him before. Like when I was little. Nike, what?

Okay, like, seriously! Why do I seem to like these punk-emo style types? Wait. No, I don't. What is happening to me?

Mental facepalm.

"Oh, you must be Forrest Seymour?" Mrs. Edwards asked.

"Uh, yeah," Forrest replied.

"You're late." Mrs. Edwards put her hand on her hip.

"I couldn't find the right room."

She raised an eyebrow. "Okay. Whatever."

She turned to the class and said, "Class, this is Forrest." There were murmurs of 'hi' and 'ello'.

She turned to Forrest again. "You can sit beside Nike Bonham over there. Nike raise your hand, yeah?"

Me. Sit beside me. Potatoes. Out of all people, me. No wait. There was only one empty chair in the whole room, and it was beside me. Now I'm hyperventilating! Okay. Keep calm and raise your hand because your science teacher told you so.

I raised my hand. I could tell Forrest was kinda surprised. Yeah, I know. But I'm not exactly named after the shoe brand. Why the shoe brand was named Nike, I have no idea. Some people even mistake me for a guy because of my name.

He made his way over to me and sat on the empty seat to my right.

"Hey," I said as he sat down.

"Hi," he replied. "You're Nike?"

"Obviously. I raised my hand, right?"

"I... I just thought it was a guy." He looked down at the table.

I could see that his face was kinda red. Oh wow. Way to go, Nike. Now he thinks you're such a brat.

I laughed quietly. "It's fine. Most people think my name is for boys. It's a girl's name actually."

He looked at me. I couldn't really see the colour of his eyes because of his hair. But yeah. I had to admit, he's cute.

"Where did --"

"Oi! Nike and Forrest, if you two are just going to chat, you can go out now." Mrs. Edwards snapped. Some kids snickered.

"Sorry," I muttered.

Mrs. Edwards continued with the lecture. I tried taking notes, and my brain went into overdrive just by trying to listen to her. I think Forrest was just doing fine. Honestly I don't know how he did it. Ah. I'll ask him later.

Finally the bell rang. Mrs. Edwards gave us a lot of homework as usual. I stood up and packed my things.

"Nike, Forrest. Would you come here for a minute please?" Mrs. Edwards called as I was going out of the room.