Meet My Dad

Dear journal,

By this time you’re probably wondering “Whatever happened to this girl to make her think these things?” Well journal to tell you let’s introduce you to my parents.

I had very loving parents. Let me emphasis the ‘had’.

We were one big happy family, everything was going very well. My dad was a dentist and my mum stayed in the house to look after me. We had a nice house; I remember it well, two storeys and four bedrooms.

I had a good childhood up to the age of ten.

That was how old I was when the argument happened. I was really young but as much as I don’t want to, I remember it.

I started with my mum screaming “WHAT?!” It was heard all the way from my bedroom.  I was a curious kid and that was the first time I have ever heard my mum scream like that so I went to see what was happening by sitting on the stairs to spy on my parents who were in the kitchen at the time.

I was there just in time to hear my dad reply “Yes Isabelle, I’m sorry but I don’t love you anymore” I remember scrunching my face in confusion, thinking, what is happening?

“You’re leaving us, to be with that SLUT?! You can’t, you have only met her whereas we have years of chemistry. It’s ok, I can forgive you for cheating on me, please just stay.”

“I can’t and as I said, I’m sorry”

“What about me? What about Caroline? She’s only ten you can’t leave us.” My mum was reduced to tears by that time

“I’m sorry and I hope you enjoy the rest of your life without me. And about Caroline I promise to support you, I’ll send a cheque every month.”

That was the last thing I heard come out of my dad’s mouth before he walked out of my life, forever. He lied. He’s a liar. Not a single penny was given to us after he left. At the time I had no idea what was happening but I was a quick learner.