1. Sour Honey (Steth)

☤ Sσuя Hσηєy ☤

“Cecilia, where are you headed to and why are you carrying a suitcase? It’s nearly three in the morning.”

“Ha, are you really that clueless? You are such a fool for believing we were going to be a picture perfect family. As for that grandiose wedding, forget it. I’m hitting the road.”

“W—wait! What should I tell Steth? He’ll ask questions.”

“Nothing because I’m taking him with me.”

My ears perked up, straining to hear the conversation. The harsh voices scared me out of my wits. I looked back at the door leading to my safe haven, yearning to run and crawl under the covers. At least the bedroom had a night light. However, curiosity got the better of me; it was futile to ignore the urge to see what all the commotion was about.    

My feet plodded along the carpeted floor as I groped the wall for support. When the hallway seemed to never end, I became queasy and regretted my earlier decision. Chills ran up and down my spine, causing me to shudder violently. The darkness—possibly my worst enemy—enveloped my body. Fear gripped my heart and kept me rooted to the spot.

Pushing worried thoughts away, I continued walking. One foot in front of the other, I told myself. Eventually, I made it to where the edge of the staircase was located. I crouched down and hid, shrouded by shadows.

“I can’t allow that. He’s my son, not yours.”

“I knew you would say that. There’s only one way I’ll get away with Steth.”

I heard a sharp intake of breath and Dad started pleading. “Why? Please don’t do this. I won’t tell anyone. What do you want?”

Blinding light from the living room flooded my vision as I peered around the staircase. Cecilia, my stepmother, stood a few feet from Dad. She wielded a knife, its serrated edge glinting maliciously. In her other hand was a small handgun, pointed directly at her target.  

My jaw fell slack and I suppressed a scream.

“It’s just a dream. Your eyes are playing tricks on you. It’ll be morning soon enough, Steth,” I muttered, denying what I just saw. Blinking my eyes rapidly and pinching didn’t help one bit. When the realization dawned on me that this was real, I couldn’t help but start hyperventilating. With bated breath, I turned my attention back to Cecilia.

“Ah, Neil. I can see right through your palpable lie. As soon as I’m gone, you’ll call the police. Anyway, isn’t it obvious that I want Steth? It was a mistake when you told me he’ll inherit two million at eighteen. Plus his big brain will make me rich.”

She was referring to my great grandfather’s will. I immediately felt sick to my stomach. My own stepmother was going to kill for money. Dad trembled and closed his fists tightly, but he finally relaxed. Cecilia regarded him with a cold, inimical gaze.

He heaved a sigh of defeat. “Shoot me, then. I’m willing to give up if you take good care of Steth.” My dad kneeled down and hung his head, waiting.

I argued with myself on whether I should step in or not. The consequences were severe either way. I braced myself, my skin already prickling.

Cecilia derided his comment. Shortly after, she pouted and replied, “That’s such a bore. I am going to make you suffer.” Her face contorted into a smirk and she cackled loudly.

The knife came down, lodging itself in Dad. Blood spurted out from the wound and arterial spray painted the ceiling. His mouth opened wide as if he couldn’t breathe. Cecilia raised the knife again and before I knew it, my body launched into the air.

Even though I was moving, it felt like my world was coming to a standstill. The blade nicked my neck; droplets of blood trickled out. I fell to the floor in a crumpled heap, extremely sluggish and light-headed. Cecilia’s expression changed from murderous to concern. 

“Oh, my poor baby! Are you alright?”

“Don’t kill Dad. He’s all I have,” I begged.

“I think you hit your head, dear. I would never do something so horrible,” she fretted in a false tone.

I applied pressure to my neck; the good thing was that the cut wasn’t deep. My jugular hadn’t been slashed otherwise I would have bled out in a few seconds or minutes.

Cecilia attempted to carry me, but I resisted and managed to get out of her grasp. She waved the knife

around. With one single bound, I was able to hit the light switch. In a million years, I never would have

thought that the darkness could help me out.

“Come out, Steth. There’s nowhere to hide.”

I held my breath and swiftly moved away from her. It was time to act; now or never. I touched a smooth, cool object. Glass would definitely do the trick. For some reason, I upended it and emptied the contents. Luck was on my side because I saw a shift in the pitch black room and chucked my weapon.

There wasn’t the sound of tinkling glass, but I knew that it had been successful. Her bloodcurdling shrieks bounced off the walls.

“Fine, you sniveling little brat. You won this time, but mark my words…I’ll be seeing you again.”

The door slammed with so much force that the entire house shook. I found my Dad easily; his labored breathing could be heard a mile away. His pulse was erratic, but still going strong. My shaky hands retrieved a cell phone from his pocket and I dialed only three digits.

That daunting day will always be on replay, forever a part of the closet in my head. It’s also the day I befriended the darkness. The most important part, however, is this: I learned to never judge a person based on first impressions. After all, they could turn out to be a money-hungry psychopath.