7. Mortal Frenemies (Valon)

Recap: Valon recalls the day when he is betrayed by his first friend and is later kidnapped. In the present, he is being punished in a freezer and is invited to dinner to see the boss. 

✹ Mσяtal Fяєηєmiєs ✹

As I trudged down the hall, the grey walls with peeling paint irked me to no end. I didn’t mind that they were devoid of bright color, but it was as if they were closing in on me, suffocating my life source. Five guards—four guards total on my left and right and one in the back—made sure I kept in line. They certainly weren’t going to take any chances. They led me to a small, dingy bathroom with no window. If there had been one, I could’ve jumped out. Breaking my neck wouldn’t be a pretty sight, though. Unexpectedly, one of the guards thrust a three-piece suit and a tie at me.

“Put it on,” he ordered.

I couldn’t believe my eyes; why on earth was I being handed a fancy outfit?

“And…why should I?”

“The boss requires proper attire,” he intoned.

My stomach lurched because of his voice. It was ridiculously mechanical, sounding like he was reciting from a textbook.

“Alright, it’s your policy. Fine, I’ll wear it if you guys leave me alone from now on.” I waved them away and closed the door shut. I had gotten used to wearing my tattered clothes, but a change would be nice. The suit fit perfectly, which caused me to be suspicious about how they knew my exact measurements to make the custom suit.

I shook my head; over-thinking was becoming a bad habit. Fixing the sleeves, I stared at myself in the cracked mirror. The lines ran like threads in a spider web. “Seven years of bad luck,” I muttered, even though I was not superstitious. I pondered the question of who the “boss” exactly was. Why did he want to see me? I would not get off on the wrong foot with him or her, at least until I knew all the answers.

After I made my disheveled hair somewhat presentable, I turned on the sink’s tap. Naturally, it provided only cold water. That’s what you would expect from a hellhole like this. I splashed my face and it instantly revitalized me. At the last minute, I realized I forgot to put on the tie, but I wouldn’t know how to anyway. I readied myself and went outside.

The guards, who had ignored my earlier request, stood right by the door. They escorted me through yet another long passageway and we reached a barred entrance. When we got through, I gasped at the wondrous sight before me.

A massive dinner table, set for twenty, drew my attention. Also, a thick, red tablecloth was draped over it

Intricate patterns lined the floor; the vaulted ceiling made me feel microscopic and uncomfortable. What sparked my curiosity the most was a flat screen television propped onto the wall in front of me. 

I was told to sit down, so I pulled out a chair and plopped into it. I had no idea what was in store for me and I tried to keep my mixed emotions hidden. The guards filed out and the last one called, “One of your old friends is coming to visit.” Then I was left alone, already with more questions.

I had declared myself friendless from that horrible day on. Whoever walked in would not change my perspective at all. Loud, yet measured footsteps came my way. Without being able to control it, my heart started beating erratically. I hated the unknown, maybe even feared it.

When I saw my visitor enter, my lips curled up savagely.

“You!” I snarled. A single, accusatory word.

“You’ve missed me that much, huh?” he remarked. The man I recognized as the “leader” smiled. Now he had stubble on his chin and more muscle. Just what I needed.

I couldn’t think of a snarky reply at the moment, so I just said, “As if.”

“Valon, you haven’t changed one bit…you amuse me.”

I ignored him, hoping he would stop talking. He grabbed a seat next to me and drummed his fingers on the table. An awkward silence came over us. I cleared my throat and he scratched his chin. Both of us were saved by a man who appeared from two double doors. The architecture of this building never ceased to amaze me.

He introduced himself as a waiter and asked what we would like to drink.

“Water,” I answered.

“Red wine,” the leader said.

The drinks arrived quickly and the waiter rattled off a list of the courses we were having today. He walked back to where the kitchen was. I caught a whiff of the liquid and inspected the contents. It was quite clear, but that didn’t mean anything.

“Relax, Valon. If we wanted you dead or poisoned, it would’ve happened a long time ago.”

“It’s better safe than sorry,” I retorted. “So what do you want?”

“What are you talking about?”

“You are the boss, right?”

“No, I only work for him. I’m flattered you think of me so highly.”

“You—"

I jumped out of my skin when I heard a static sound. As if on cue, the television turned on. A figure wearing a mask came into view.

“Hello, Valon. I’m glad you accepted my invitation. Let’s get down to business. What I’m about to offer you will change your life forever. I promise you won’t have regrets. Oh, and choose wisely.”