Whispering

I looked into Charlottes deep brown eyes as she still wouldn't look at me. I know that she loves me and she knows it too. Me and Charlotte would never be together and I know that's why she won't look at me. I dropped the situation and continued dabbing her busted lip. "You have to stand up for yourself Char, you know I can't help." I whispered. She didn't say anything but I could see the shame in her eyes as she slightly nodded her head. I knew what that meant...she wasn't going to. I stood up and walked to the bucket of warm water and redipped the wash cloth in it to remove blood. I came back to her and sat down. I started on her cheek and she winced. I knew it hurt so I tried to dabb softer. I slid my free hand next to hers and put her hand in mine. I squeezed it tightly one time and let go. It killed me.. not to be able to hold her and tell her everything would be alright. She looked at me finally and just looked into me. I looked back at her with deep sincerity. We just stared for a moment, taking in every small but significant detail of eachother. I heard someone grab at the doorknob and try to come in. "Charlotte if you don't unlock this damn door your going to get it worse than before." Victor yelled. I quickly got up put the rag in the bucket and went for the closet. Char stood up and said "Sorry Victor I was taking a bath.. I must've locked the door on accident." She quickly walked over there, unlocked it and let him in. I was glad Char stuck the pears in her drawer next to her bed or Victor would of known I was in here with her. "Go finish dinner. I'm hungry and it should've been done a long time ago." He commanded. She walked out of the room and Victor closed the door behind her. He walked to the bathroom and started filling up the tub with water. I knew he would be taking a bath so I could make my escape as soon as he got in. I listened closely and just waited. About six minutes later I heard him slip into the water. I knew I could get away now so I went for the closet door and started pushing it open little by little. I eased my way out onto their bedroom floor and started sliding towards the door out. Creeeek.. I stopped and didn't move hoping he didn't hear me. "Charlotte are you in there? I told you to start dinner." He called out. Char must have heard him talking because she came in the room and opened the door slowly. "Sorry hun, I forgot my pears in here. Ruth brought me some by earlier so I could make a pie." She said innocently. She motioned for me to come to the door as she walked out and I got up and we made it out the door. "Char I'm going to leave now, but you know where to meet me tonight. Like always.." I whispered softly. She nodded at me and smirked because of what just happened. Somehow Victor never catches me when I come around and Char finds that amusing. She leaned forward and hugged me goodbye and we just stood there for a moment. Hugging eachother.. I let go of her and went for the front door. I walked quickly because I knew Victor would be out soon to make sure Charlotte was finishing his dinner. I stepped outside and started towards my house. I needed to get ready to meet Char tonight like we usually do.