5. New

© Kelly Faulk 2012

Chapter 5:  New

Ifell much harder and faster for Uriel the second time.  I almost quit my job so I could have more time with my boyfriend. The fact that he was really forty-eight didn't creep me out as much as it first did. I loved him when I thought he was twenty-six, so there was no reason why I shouldn't love him now. Bruto grew more and more jealous of him as each day passed, but I couldn't blame him; I was giving Uriel a lot more attention.

After I got off work, for three days out of the week, we went over to Bette's. I didn't want to press the issue, but for some reason, she wouldn't tell me who Alain's father was. On a happier note, Uriel was getting more comfortable around them. Dolfie called me "Seea" and Uriel "Ua." I thought it was cute.

That was when I had my first thought of having children. What if Uriel and I had a child? Was it possible for a human and a Rage to conceive? The Venus and Adonis, Rose and Elmark, were mother and son, so could Uriel and I have one?

I wanted to ask him, but I didn't want for him to suspect what I was thinking about; I had no idea how he would react to the thought of children. I hesitated for over a month about when to ask him. When we were lying in bed one night sometime later, I asked him to tell me more about the Rage, hoping to steer him into the direction I wanted to go.

"What do you want to know?" he asked.

"Anything you want to tell me."

He sat in silence for a minute while he thought. "You know that there's two of every kind."

"Yes. Male and female."

"Well, with the way Luka and Lurch imagined it, the only two rule was set up for us to marry our opposite and bear children in hopes to create stronger Rage. The case with Rose and Elmark, when she dies, Elmark will create a Rage, and she will hopefully become a Venus because he’ll infuse some of his powers into her before the process is complete. Sometimes, it works, but most of the time, it's random."

I hesitated with my next question.  "Can there be hybrids?"

"No. It's not possible. It's like trying to get a dog and a cat to reproduce. It can't happen because we are different species. If it were possible, then the resulting child could have just one wing; that'll make it hard to fly."

I took in everything very hard. So, there was no way Uriel and I could have a child. Unless...I became a Rage, but I wasn't planning on that. "So, are you and Halrot...?"

"No. She feels more like a sister to me. She's only eighteen. Plus, if I was married to her, would I be here with you now?"

"I guess not."

He held me tight against his body, and kissed my forehead. "I love you, Sera."

"I love you, too.  I'm off tomorrow if you want to go do anything."

"Okay. Do you want to go over to my house? Leo has been missing you."

"Alright."

Until I fell asleep, Uriel told me about all of the Rage's relationships to one another. He was connected to Rose, Halrot, and Halrie. That's all I remembered.

My dreams consisted of me flying around with my angel.  The way we flew reminded me of the eagle's mating dance...only we weren't doing anything like that...just flying. The clouds seemed to part as we flew into them. I didn't want for my dream to end.

The next morning, Uriel thought that it would be best if I drove to his house. I wanted to fly, mostly because of my dream, but driving wouldn't look as suspicious with me disappearing while my car was in the parking lot.  It was a three hour drive to the mountains, but it passed pretty quickly with him by my side.  We left my Corvette at the last bit of civilization; there was no way I could have driven it in the woods with how thick the trees were.