6. Secret

© Kelly Faulk 2012

Chapter 6:  Secret

Luka and Lurch said that Halrot had to stay with us.  An upside to our situation, though, was my conversation with her; she stopped following Uriel around.  She acted like she didn’t care about him anymore.  She in fact looked a bit depressed.  Oh well.  He was mine first.

I gave Uriel my Vegas option when we were alone one night.  He seemed to like it.  Now all we had to do was wait for the perfect timing.

That was the hardest part.  I had to wait to legally become Uriel’s.  I had to wait for a time where no one would suspect a thing.  Why would they suspect anything?  I had never shown a loving emotion towards him when the other Rage were around.

Speaking of love, I had a wedding to go to.  And apparently, Uriel did, too.  I was the maid of honor to Bette, and she invited Uriel as well.  Halrot grew a little suspicious about how long and well Uriel and I knew each other when we told her where we were going.

Bette trusted Alain to my boyfriend during the ceremony, and when I looked at him, I saw that he was staring intently at my godson.  Why?  I’d have to ask him when we were alone.

We could have flown off to Vegas after Bette’s wedding, which was in September, but Halrot followed us to the wedding and reception.  This deeply aggravated me.  She was becoming the little sister I never had or wanted.

When I asked Uriel about why he was giving Alain a strange look, he told me that he was trying to figure out who his father was, even though he didn't really know anyone in Ohio.  I was still a little mad at Bette that she didn’t tell me who he was.  Did she think I’d be pissed off at whoever he was?  But I never pressed the issue with her.  She’d tell me when she was ready.

I would often go out flying with Leo and Bruto to get away from Halrot after she followed us to my best friend's wedding.  Uriel sometimes accompanied me when he was able to get away from her.  I enjoyed this extra time with him.  But, I finally broke down one outing, and told him that I wished he would have left me human.  He seemed hurt by it, but he told me that it would all be over soon.

“How so?” I asked.

“The Leaders shuffle around.  After Luka and Lurch die, the leadership role shifts to someone else.”

“Who does it go to?”

He counted on his fingers, thinking.  Then, his eyes brightened.  “You.”

“Really?”

“Yes.  You can change the rules.  This is so perfect.  We can get married after they die, and the power shifts to you.”

“But, I want to go ahead and go to Vegas.”

He took my hands in his.  “We can, Sera.  But we can have a formal ceremony afterwards.”

“Oh.  Okay.  Should I put off creating the other Fire?”

“Maybe.  It all depends on Luka and Lurch.”

“And they’re in their nineties, too.  It’s just a matter of time.”

“Sera, we can live to be a hundred.  Except Halrot and I.  I thought I told you that?”

“I know.  But that’s just six years in total to wait.”

He moaned sorrowfully.  “That’s too long.”  He suddenly whisked me up into his arms.  “I want you right now…but we can’t.”  He pressed his lips gently to mine before he set me down.

We chose to walk instead of fly today.  It meant more time together.  We were silent, but our quiet words said everything.  I was about to take his hand in mine when I heard the ruffling of large wings.  We looked up to see Liam flying towards us.