o n e

if there is one thing that jackson knows, it's that people don't tend to take a liking to single dads.

they always think that single dads are irresponsible, without-a-care-in-the-world people.

that is false. highly false.

sure, the kid was unplanned. but at least jackson owned up to it.

instead of living his carefree life like a 22 year old should, he juggles several part time jobs to feed his 5 year old son, youngjae.

he knows that with youngjae and 4 part time jobs, he has no time for a any romantic relationship. with the guy who works at the cake shop. who is called im jaebum.

but it doesn't hurt to visit there once a while (every monday, wednesday, friday to be exact) right?

he also knows that with what little money they have, he shouldn't be spending any money on unnecessary luxuries. like cake. from the shop jaebum works at.

but if he doesn't buy anything, then he'd have no excuse to enter the cake shop.

he still remembered when he first saw jaebum.

it was a saturday, 9 o'clock. and jackson just knocked off from one of his many jobs.

it was also youngjae's birthday.

he'd almost completely forgot until he reached the elevator of their apartment building.

luckily, there's a cake shop just down the road.

jackson ran at breakneck speed, panting and sweating profusely when he arrived at the shop.

to his luck, there was no other customer in the shop at that hour.

"a chocolate sponge cake please." jackson called out hurriedly.

the presumed assistant/cashier who had his back turned just a while ago turned to face jackson and asked,"a whole cake or just a slice."

jackson, entranced by the beauty of the man who stood before him, didn't answer.

the man waved into jackson's face.

"oh yes. I would like a..." jackson was already guilty about not being able to get youngjae anything fancy, so he said,"a whole cake please. and 5 candles."

"whose birthday? your brother?" the man asked.

"I guess you could say he is..." jackson trailed off.

the man boxed up the cake and said,"that will be $39.90."

jackson pulled out two scraggly 5 dollar bills and muttered,"fuck."

the man slid the box towards him and smiled warmly,"don't worry. I have it covered. quickly get back. don't let the birthday boy wait."

"thanks..." jackson glanced at his name tag,"jaebum?"

"no problem." jaebum said, flashing his perfect white teeth at jackson.

ever since then, going to the shop has become a routine.

he always gets a slice of cake, slowly eating it, trying to stall more time to admire what he'd like to refer to as "god's masterpiece"

-

happy new year!! (it's still 2015 where I am but aNYWAY) this story is probably going to be really short, like 4-5 chapters? idk we'll see.