t h r e e

youngjae was snuggled up beside jackson, deep in slumber.

contrastingly, jackson lie awake on the mattress that was too cramped for two, unable to fall asleep.

throughout the day, jackson checked his phone constantly, even when there isn't a notification sound. just to make sure.

he was halfway into dreamland when he heard a ping! from his phone.

he scrambled for his phone, careful not to wake youngjae up.

unknown number: hey (:

jackson knew who it was but he tried not to show his enthusiasm in his reply.

jackson: who's this?

unknown number: jaebum

jackson: who??

unknown number: um im jaebum? from the cake shop?

jackson: I know I was making the joke haha

unknown number: oh

oh god. jackson was only trying to ease any initial awkwardness but the joke totally fell flat.

and the worst thing is that now the ball was in his court.

he's not expecting jaebum to double text but oh isn't exactly the most reply-able thing in the world.

he tapped a few buttons on his phone saving jaebum's contact.

jaebum: what do you get from a pampered cow?

jackson: ??

jaebum: spoiled milk. (:

jackson's cheeks were beginning to hurt from how much he was smiling.

he couldn't believe what a dork jaebum was.

jaebum: see you tomorrow? (:

jackson frowned for a second, before realising that it's friday tomorrow.

jackson: yeah

jaebum: cool.

jackson closed his eyes and smiled contently.

you know how you have this boring, regular routine that you go through ever day?

and then because of someone, that mundane routine becomes something to look forward to.

that's how jackson felt after meeting im jaebum.

-

after sending youngjae to kindergarten, he walked to his job with a bounce in his step.

and for once in the long long time, even after working for 6 hours, fatigue wasn't chained on his ankles when his job ended.

on his way to the cake shop, he thought multiple times about jaebum and a silly grin would pop out on his face every time he did.

he pushed the glass door of the tiny cafe, his breath catching in his throat the moment he laid his eyes on jaebum.

jaebum looked up from behind the counter as he heard the tinkling of chimes, signalling the arrival of a new customer.

"hi- jackson!" jaebum's face visibly lit up as he saw his favourite regular customer.

"I have something for you!" jaebum said, digging into his pocket and fishing out a card.

"what's this?" jackson asked.

"it's a $50 gift card for this cake shop. the boss gave it to me but I don't particularly fancy cakes, so yeah." jaebum shrugged.

"oh. um I think I'll have my regular then." jackson slid the card over to jaebum on the counter.

jaebum frowned.

"why don't you try something else? I give you $50 and you still..." jaebum trailed off.

"so you're giving me this because you think I'm poor? because you pity me? why? is it because I'm a single father?" jackson stared at jaebum, offense evident in his eyes.

"no it's not that-"

"then what is it?" jackson challenged.

seeing jaebum's silence, jackson huffed,"forget it."

jackson stuffed his hands into his jacket pockets, stomping off.

"screw the damn cake shop. screw the dumb cakes. screw you im jaebum." jackson muttered as he made his way towards youngjae's kindergarten.

upon seeing youngjae, jackson's anger dissipated.

-

this fic was inspired by that one time got7 made some cakes on the v app and I felt that baker!jaebum was too irresistible

and look at cartoon baker jaebum omg (drawn by @abimabima on twitter)