epilogue (3)

when it rains, it pours.

about a month ago, jackson was fired from one of his jobs due to financial constraints of the company.

and now, he was sacked from another job. great.

with only 2 jobs, it's hard to make ends meet.

at first, his three times a week trip to the cake shop had to be cut to once a week.

but now, it's impossible to go even once.

jaebummie: jacks jacks jacks

jackson: what what what

jaebummie: why didn't you come today ):

jackson: sorry :-( do you want to meet at the playground for a short while?

jaebummie: sure see you

-

"I missed you so much." jaebum pressed his lips to jackson's forehead.

"I'm so sorry about not being able to come today. I was... sacked again. I don't think I'll be able to come at all in future." jackson pouted.

"why? just come. I'll pay for the cake."

"no way. you refused to take my money for the tickets and food at the amusement park. no way in hell I'm letting you pay for me for this." jackson crossed his arms resolutely.

"so we can only meet every night like this? when youngjae is asleep?" jaebum retorted.

jackson rubbed circles on jaebum's thumb and said,"are you mad?"

"you bet. I already said I'd pay, right? what's the big deal?"

"jaebum." jackson widened his eyes and pushed out his bottom lip, working his charm on jaebum.

"nope. I won't be taken in." jaebum said, the sides of his lips uncontrollably quirking into a smile.

jackson glanced at his watch and said,"I have to go. it's already 12."

"okay, see you tomorrow again? here?"

"yeah. see you." jackson quickly pecked jaebum's lips and hopped away.

-

"daddy!" tears staining youngjae's face.

"youngjae? what happened!" jackson asked, confused.

a stack of three cardboard boxes sat outside their house.

"the landlord ahjussi came and said you didn't pay the rent for a month already and then he moved everything into the boxes." youngjae sobbed.

jackson sighed as he took out his hand phone and dialed for jaebum.

"jackson?"

"yeah, I-" jackson's voice cracked.

"what happened?"

"the landlord evicted us. can we... can we spend the night at yours?" jackson requested.

"of course. are you outside your house right now?"

"yeah."

"stay there. I'll pick you guys up in 5 minutes." jaebum said.

-

"youngjae ah, do you have anything you want to eat?" jaebum asked.

jackson shot his son a look, warning him to not request for anything.

"no," youngjae said, shifting his eyes away.

"just say it." jaebum squatted until his eyes were level with youngjae's.

"do you have some biscuits?" youngjae asked shyly.

"of course! follow that auntie and she'll get you some." jaebum said, pointing to one of the many servants that were neatly lined up.

younjae excitedly ran to the auntie and held her hands, letting her lead the way.

"you have a nice car, a nice house, many servants... why do you still want to work there?" jackson asked as soon as youngjae was gone.

"actually, I own that chain of cake shops." jaebum scratched the back of his head.

jackson's eyes popped out of their sockets.

-

CAN WE PLEASE TALK ABOUT THE JACKBUM CARTOON IT'S SO CUTE

cartoon drawn by @mintaim0727 on twitter