s e v e n

Ethan's POV

The thin trees towered over me as I sneaked through them cautiously. I took in short, sharp breaths of the cold air that stung my face.

I heard muffled giggles as I approached a small wooden hut.

I stopped dead in my tracks.

"I love you Hunter." I heard Alexa whisper.

Oh no.

"I love you too." he replied. I moved swiftly around the hut to the back and found a small crack to peek through the planks.

I saw lots of candles placed all around the hut, and saw Alexa and Hunter cuddled up together on a mound of blankets and pillows.

If Hunter had just been a regular guy, I wouldn't have been panicking when I spotted him staring at Alexa as she dozed off.

"You should learn not to trust people that easily, sweetie." I heard him breathe out quietly to Alexa. I widened my eyes, my heart palpitating.

Hunter slowly and carefully got up from his position, gently laying Alexa's hand (which had been in his) on the blankets.

Then he looked back down at her creepily, sliding the corner of his mouth up.

He reached over for one of the candles and started to tip it over to one of the planks of the wall. It quickly set alight and I gasped.

He ran out of the hut, hurrying towards his parked car. When he was out of sight, I pulled off my T-shirt, covering my mouth with it and stepping inside of the now flaming hut.

I mumbled curse words into my T-shirt as I wheezed out all of the smoke I had inhaled.

Alexa had woken up and started screaming for help, coughing and stumbling throughout the hut.

The planks on the ceiling started to break through and one collapsed on my back as I reached Alexa.

"SHIT!" I yelled in pain, rubbing my back and picking her up. She kept on coughing so I gave her my T-shirt and stumbled out of the hut, burning my arms and chest.

When we were in the clear, I ran back to my car, and by the time I had laid her down in the back seat, she was unconscious.

***

Alexa's POV

Squinting at a sudden pain, I rubbed my eyes open to find myself in an unfamiliar room.

I was tucked into a warm bed, but my breathes were wheezy and my right foot throbbed.

I could only remember falling asleep next to Hunter, and the only thought that had occurred to me at the moment was that I was in his room.

But then I realised that it wasn't his room.

I scrambled up onto my arms, looking around anxiously.

"Alexa?" someone came through the door, and I was shocked to see a shirtless Ethan.

"What are you doing here? What am I doing here? Where's Hunter?" I stuttered, backing up against the header.