Chapter Ten: Miss Me When I'm Gone

Allison's POV

Through the laughter on the tv I hear someone softly rapping at the door, "Um, A-allison?" A voice questions. Harry.

"It's open."

I have only been awake for about twenty minutes, but everyone has been coming in to check up on me. I hadn't realized that I caused such a fuss. I was just happy that it was Harry and not another nurse.

"H-hey," Harry says, limping into the dull, white hospital room. He looks incredibly sick. I'm not even sure he should be standing, let alone walking.

"What's up little man? Come sit down," I smile at him, patting the white linen sheet beside me.

Harry hesitantly comes over to me, but looks away when I smile again.

"Is everything alright?" I question him. I know I just met him, but I can't help but feel impartial towards him.

Harry begins to nod, but then shakes his head instead, "I-i wa-wanted t-to talk to you about Ashy," he sighs, looking towards the tile floor. 

It's then that I notice that he's stuttering, not because he's nervous, but because he's cold. I grab the blanket thrown onto the end of my bed and give it to him.

He hesitantly comes and sits down next to me, curling up in the blanket.

There is an awkward silence for several moments and as I'm about to say something he speaks up, "Does Ashy worry about me?"

"Well, of course he does. Why wouldn't he?"

"Will he be there when I die?"

"Wh-um, Harry. Why would you ask such a thing?" I question, beginning to worry.

"I'm just curious, is all," he says.

"I happen to know that he loves you very much. Is that all you needed to talk about?" I ask.

"No," there's a long pause as I wait for him to continue, "I only have a short amount of time before they notice I'm missing."

"Before who notices you're missing? The nurses?" 

It couldn't be his mom or Ashton, because they were both working.

"Them," he says, gesturing to his head.

"The nurses are probably looking for you, what are you doing here?" I ask, changing the subject.

"No they're not. I told them I was coming here and I told them not to bother me."

"Did you walk all this way just for me?" I question, then remembering that I'm no longer in the ICU, but he is. The nurses told me they had moved me shortly after I slipped into a coma, because I was stable, just asleep.

"I'm not in the ICU anymore. I think they've just given up on me. I won't ever be fixed," Harry sighs, shaking involuntarily. 

"That's not true! You'll get better. We can get better together," I smile.

"No I won't. They told me so," he says pointing to his head again.

"So what's wrong with Ashton?" I question, changing the subject.

"Oh, right. They told me to tell you that he needs help."

"The nurses?" I ask, he shakes his head, "Oh," he meant the people in his head.

"Why does he need help?"

"He needs help moving on."

"Moving on from what?"

"From me," he says, "When I die, you'll be all he has left."

"No, don't talk like that, Har-" I start.

"No, I mean it. Please stop making it seem like I'm okay when I'm not. I won't get  better."

"You don't know that, honey."

"Yes I do," there's a pause while I wait for him to explain, "A couple days ago I heard my mom talking to a few nurses late at night when they thought I was asleep. They were supposed to be giving me my night meds through my saline bag, but my mom told them she couldn't afford it anymore, because the insurance doesn't cover it and that there was no use because I wasn't going to make it anyways. My own mom has given up. The only person who hasn't given up on me is Ashy." 

 I watch as a few tears slip down his cheeks. I gently lean over and begin coddling him.

"Please take care of Ashy like he's been taking care of me, when I'm gone."

"I will. I promise," I say, wanting this conversation to be over, "Let's get your mind off of this, hmm? We can watch a movie!"

So that's the way we spend the next two hours, cuddled up with each other, watching a movie and wishing our pain away. Ashton is at work and there's no use in bothering him. As the credits are rolling there's a frantic knock at my door. 

Ashton throws it open in a panic, his eyes wide and terrified. He then sinks to the floor, his body relaxing visably, as he sees Harry on the bed curled up in my arms. 

"Thank God," he says, looking at the ceiling, "I thought something had happened," he says letting out a breath.

"Ashy," Harry says, sitting up, "I'm sorry. I forgot to tell you that I wasn't in my room.:

Ashton comes over and hugs Harry as tightly as he dares, "It's okay, little buddy. I'm glad you're safe. The nurses are looking for you, you need to go back to your room."

With that, Harry slowly gets off the bed with the help of Ashton and limps out the door. There's another awkward moment of silence, and I wonder if the Irwin boys are known for them. 

"What was he doing over here?" Ashton asks.

"Um, interesting that you asked," I then proceed to fill him in on the things Harry had told me. I feel bad for ratting him out, but I wanted him to be safe, "Oh and he also mentioned something about the people in his head?" I trail off, finishing my long ramble.

"Oh yeah, he has schizophrenia," Ashton says.