Memories of the Future

Ventress inputted the coordinates as they left the planet's atmosphere. She pulled the lever and the jump to hyperspace created the illusion that the stars were being pulled toward them. It always amazed Ahsoka, no matter how many times she saw it.

But it was going to be a long ride, even at light speed. Maybe taking a nap would be good for me, Ahsoka thought. She was tired, and even though she knew she'd have awful dreams, sleep was an unfortunate necessity.

"Is there a place in the back where I can rest for a bit?" she asked Ventress.

"Yeah, you'll know it when you see it. I'll wake you up when we get to Illum if you're still asleep by then," she responded, not looking back at her. Ahsoka could understand that. Hyperspace's images were quite mesmerizing.

Ahsoka walked past the living-room-style area into a hallway. The first door she opened had a cot in it, on which she crashed immediately. She didn't even think about looking for covers. She was asleep as soon as her head hit the pillow.

You'd never make it as Obi-Wan's Padawan. But you might make it as mine.

Ahsoka was back on Christophsis, being comforted by Anakin after their first time fighting together. They smiled at each other and then he got up to board a small ship. Before Ahsoka could follow, the vision faded away, replaced with one of her and  Anakin during the last time Ahsoka would ever see him.

Ahsoka was outside her body, watching herself walk away. She looked at Anakin and his tear-streaked face. She called out to him but he showed no indication that he'd heard her. All Ahsoka could do was watch as his pain consumed him, and then—

She was pulled into his memories. Ahsoka saw him as a little boy on Tatooine with his mother, saw how terribly they were treated as slaves. She saw him with a young Obi-Wan, Padmé, and another Jedi she didn't recognize. Anakin was saying goodbye to his mother.

You can't stop the change, any more than you can stop the suns from setting.

Ahsoka heard Anakin screaming as his mother died in his arms. She heard the cries of the Tusken Raiders he massacred. She felt his pain, his abandonment. She saw the nightmares he had about losing Padmé.

You were the Chosen One! It was said that you would destroy the Sith not join them! Bring balance to the force, not leave it in darkness!

She saw Anakin, but older. His hair was longer, his face was wiser, his eyes... His eyes were yellow.

I HATE YOU!

Then all Ahsoka could see was fire. The fire was consuming her clothes, her body, the ground, the world. The pain was unimaginable.

Ahsoka screamed and sat up. She was panting. Ventress had just walked in. If she'd heard anything, she thankfully didn't bring it up.

"I was just coming to wake you," she said. She appeared nonchalant but Ahsoka knew better. She very badly wanted to ask about the dream, but there would be a time and place for that. Ahsoka hoped that's what she was thinking too.

"Why? Did something happen?" Ahsoka asked, desperately trying to forget about her dream.

"We're out of hyperspace."

"How long was I out?" she asked as she stood up.

"A few hours. We've reached Illum."