The Decision

Last night was a restless one but I have made my decision. Somewhere in the corner of my mind I feel that it's not right but then it's all for the best.

I wore my dress and after freshening up went downstairs. I reached the dining table and saw everyone sitting around the table eating breakfast . They had all started to eat without me because as usual I was late than everyone else. I looked at mum and dad. Mum was talking with Nazneen and dad was eating his food with a serious expression which I seldom saw.

As I sat down next to Ruby I could feel dad's gaze on me. Dad was sitting at the head table with mum and Nazneen to his right and me and Ruby on the left. I took a paratha (a north Indian breakfast) and put it on my plate. Though I felt hungry I didn't feel like eating.

Dad was now talking with Ruby who was telling him about her upcoming test today and how she had resolved to do her best. Dad gave her the normal encouragement in his soft voice and for a moment I had the silly hope that he had forgot about last night. But alas... he proved me wrong. Seeing that I was playing with my paratha he decided to ask me the dreaded question.

"What is your decision Shirin?" dad asked with a stern expression,"it better be for everyone's best".

I stopped what I was doing and just remained still with my head bent low looking at my plate.

"What decision?" Ruby asked casually stuffing her mouth with parathas. I can't believe she is eating so nicely as if nothing happened while my heart is beating so fast. But then I guess that's because she does not know anything.

"Shirin knows what I am talking about and that's what matters" he replied.

"What are you talking about dad?" Nazneen asked and looked at me with a curious expression.

I still didn't look up and kept staring at the untouched plate.

"Well I thought about telling you about it this breakfast but somehow Shirin came to know last night itself." he said.

"What were you going to tell us?" Ruby asked.

I looked at mum who had an upset expression on her face.

"I was going to tell that Mr Yoonus has asked Shirin's hand in marriage for his son Sameer and we have accepted the proposal." he said calmly.

"WHAT???" Ruby and Nazneen exclaimed with their mouths open.

"And you agreed to this Shirin?" Nazneen asked me looking shocked.

"But aren't you too young to get married? you are still in school and not even an adult for god's sake" Ruby said in an exasperated tone.

"And what about your studies and all? How will you study after marriage? " Nazneen asked.

Both of them were firing questions at me as if it was my wish to get married so young when I don't even know how this thing works. I kept quite while dad answered their questions.

"I see" Nazneen said after their rapid questions came to an end, "so the only option left according to you is for her to get married to that guy" Nazneen sighted.

"But she can't be forced into this. She has the right to choose if she wants it or not" Ruby intervened.

"Yes but everything is decided and Shirin can choose if she wants this or not. If she accepts then it will help you girls and your mother and if she does not then she is not my daughter anymore." he said a note of finality in his voice.