Nothing Scarier Than Detention...!

[[Yay, new chapter :O Sorry if it's...meh. I'm not feeling well today haha]]

The sound of the door closing behind Mr.Hale seemed louder than he had intended to close it. I jumped at the sound.

"What are you so jumpy about?" He questioned, raising his eyebrow and eyeing me in such a manner that one could only assume he thought I was weird.

"N-nothing...just...distracted." I swallowed, straightening my hair out. "Just think of it as any other detention, Ashlyn. You've been in detention before. This is nothing new." I exhaled softly, my jumbled thoughts disappeared just like that.

"Well, since you're here, you might as well help me with a few stuff." Mr.Hale rubbed the back of his head as if trying to remember something. "Ah." He said shortly afterwards, giving me a small grin. "You, miss, can help me with filing." 

"Filing? Seriously? Sorry, I file nails, not folders." I crossed my arms, impatient. Sure, I could understand his intentions; afterall, most teachers assigned things to students in detention, it wasn't new. I just couldn't figure out why he couldn't do filing on his own time.

As if he read my mind, the teacher's green eyes flashed wonderfully in the lighting of the classroom. Damn those strange eyes...

"Well, your old teacher left quite a bit of things unattended. I haven't had the time what with all the marking. You might as well do something while you're here. And maybe everytime you think of laughing like a lunatic in class, you'll think 'Oh yeah, Mr.Hale might make me do that again' and you won't...y'know, laugh like that again."

He paused, his lips ligned straight. Either he was trying not to laugh while remembering the way I laughed or he was serious. Maybe it was both? I couldn't tell, I didn't know what it was with him that bothered me so much. 

"But, if you insist on filing nails, I have no problem with you filing mine." 

Mr.Hale held out his hands, batting his eyelashes.

"Gross." I laughed, unable to keep it in. From what I could tell, his nails seemed perfectly fine though.

He pouted in response, looking like an offended puppy. "Aw...that's too bad..." He trailed off, tilting his head slightly. "You've been out of it lately. I just wanted to see what was up." He flashed another innocent smile before clearing his throat. It seemed to me like he was embarrassed by his words, 

"I'm like that a lot. Sometimes I just need to...clear my head. Thanks for worrying about me." I grinned sheepishly, accepting his good intentions. Okay, so he wasn't that much of a jerk.

"Filing cabinet's up there, just grab that short stool over there and get to work."

Never mind, he's a jerk.

Nevertheless, I obliged. I pulled up the stool and got to work. Sometimes I'd look over at Mr.Hale to see what he was up to. He was busy thoroughly marking papers, at some instances, I'd catch him looking back at me. At those moments, I didn't dare try to keep up a staring contest and would hastily stuff a file into the cabinet above.

"So...did you always want to become a teacher?" I asked, wondering about his past life.

"Nope." He answered. Keeping it vague are we? I cracked my knuckles now. Time to snoop.

"Then what did you want to do?" I asked, feigning an innocent look.

"I wanted to be an artist." He said, looking sincere.

"Really?"

"No." He said, chuckling. "My mother was an artist. A really good one."

"Was?" I questioned, wanting him to go further.