Chapter 20 - The Beginning of the End

I was sprawled on the floor, the wind completely knocked out of me. As I struggled to regain my breath, Madame started kicking me, hitting each rib. I wheeze in response, feeling nauseous. In the corner of my eye, I faintly see some people running toward me.

 “No more chances, Vivienne.” She hissed between each jab. “You are going to die.” Her velvet voice racks my nerves.

I tried to get up, but she leaned down and pushed me back with an open palm. I fell back on my backbone. My arms flailed around, trying to grab anything that could be used as a weapon. I searched for my shard of glass, but I noticed it by Naomi’s desk, far out of reach. I probably dropped it when I went down. As I look in that direction, I notice the Fishermen starting to fight the kids and them attempting to hold out, but we had underestimated them. It was no match for three kids against one Fishermen with Taser. I also noticed Eli tripping over chairs trying to reach me. We made eye contact for a split second.

Madame’s yell brought my attention back to her. After she had kicked me in the gut, she grabbed a nearby chair and screamed as she was about to bring it down over my head. I blocked my face and waited for the pain that never came. Opening my eyes, I saw that Eli had grabbed the chair away from her and pushed her away.

I sigh in relief and try to smile at him. His face was grave, but he held out his hands and I gratefully pulled myself back up, wiping away the blood from my lip. I was about to hug him when Madame appeared behind him.

She had gotten the rope used to tie me down and wrapped it around his neck.

“No!” I shout, trying to pry her away. Eli grabbed at the rope, but she was too strong from behind. His face was turning blue, as he struggled to pull the rope away from his neck. The tears flood my eyes as I claw at her face, but she didn’t budge.

I land a sharp kick to her leg, and she yelps in pain, but doesn’t let go. I don’t realize how loud was screaming until it falls short in my breath.

If Eli died because of me, I would go crazy. His eyes lock with mine for a split second, as if trying to tell me everything he was thinking. Then his jaw falls slack and he slumps forward. I let out an ear-splitting scream and was about to hit Madame when someone pushed me aside and ran forward.

John punched Madame in the nose so hard she released the rope, letting Eli fall to the ground. I tried to catch him but I fell with him, holding his head up on my lap. With the tears streaming down my face, I didn’t notice anything around me except for him. As I cradled his head gently, my fingers caressing his face, my heart faltered.

With uneven breaths, I lean into his chest, waiting to hear a heartbeat, aware that everyone had attacked Madame and were fighting her. There had to be one. There had to be.

I was returned with silence. My breath hitched and my heart skipped a beat. I reached for his hand, feeling for a pulse. There wasn’t one.

“No, no, no…” I muttered under my breath, seeing red. He couldn’t be dead. I cry out his name again, fresh tears coating my face.

As a last resort, I pinch his nostrils together and press my mouth to his. I had never done CPR, but I saw enough of it in movies to have an idea of what to do. I exhale as much air as I could, letting it flow into him. I gave him as much air as I could, so much that I started to feel lightheaded.

Following that, I put both my hands on his chest and start pumping them up and down a couple times.

I was faster than lightning when my lips returned to his and I continued to give him more air. He had to live. I wouldn’t allow him to die today.